Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. If you haven't notice yet, we are trying to make a few changes that will benefit the community at large. First and foremost, is the requirement of adding your vehicle information. This will help those who are trying to help you with your issues accurately diagnose your issue. This comes as there are members who do not add information about their vehicle at registration, and when asking for help, they neglect to specify what their car is. This will cut down on the "What car/year/engine/transmission do you have" posts, or random guessing, as the information will be visible on the left of your post under your Avatar where it currently says "Drives".

Now I understand it's going to be a hassle to get all current members to complete this, as not everyone visits frequently however I am making this a required field for all new members and current members who update their profile information. The Location field is also a requirement as there are issues members deal with in their part of the country that others do not. Again...... helping US help YOU.

Here is how to access and complete this process........

Open your User Control Panel located here:

Click "Edit Your Details":

Add the year of your vehicle:

Click the drop down arrow to select your make and model Bull. If you don't currently own one, select "other:

Click the drop down arrow to select your Engine.
If you don't know which one you have, select "other, however look here, http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/124-taurus-sable-general-discussion/96365-what-generation-engine-tranny-do-i-have.html ,to find out what you have and edit this option when you have the right information. You can also ask........

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save Changes" and you are done. 30 seconds of your time, saves hours of waiting for answers because you did not enter your vehicle information.

IF YOU DO NOT MAKE THIS SIMPLE CHANGE, THE INFORMATION THAT YOU HAVE ENTERED ALREADY WILL NOT BE THERE! So please, everyone go into your User Control Panel and update your vehicle information ASAP so your vehicle information is there for anyone who's taking their time to answer questions that you have about your vehicle. If you have multiple Bulls, you can add cars to your signature. Any questions please ask.

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello everyone. This change has been implemented so please go into your user control panel and update your information.

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
How does this work for members with multiple bulls?

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look at the last line of the first post. If you have multiple bulls, enter the car that you most commonly use/repair/stare at in your driveway in the UserCP, and then put all the cars you currently have in your sig. So for you, put the SHO in the information panel, and add your SHO and your sister's SEL in your sig, like you already have.

It's a pain at first for the older members, but at least now the information is front and center. New users are now required to add this information at the time of registration, so anyone new will already have this information. Also, if you make any changes to your user information, this is also required for you to complete the changes.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,751 Posts
May I suggest that an option be added where one can choose sedan or wagon?
Agreed, as there are suspension differences between sedans and wagons in older models and also some wagon-specific maintenance/repair situations as well.

·
Midwest Chapter Mod
1,152 Posts
I updated my info as requested.

Although I still have to upload pics for each applicable area, I like the change.

I figured plenty of pics floating around of my car anyhow, so I didn't necessarily feel rushed to do that aspect of it.

Thanks to the staff above me for implementing said changes. I think they'll work well for the community as a whole, presuming everyone follows suit and completes the new fields as well.

Great addition to the TCCA.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,751 Posts
^1. Agreed, although I see new users posting in the Intro forum without vehicle info visible. I thought the purpose of this change was to put a stop to that?

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,751 Posts

·
Administrator
14,927 Posts
^+1. I hate to admit it, but when I don't see a model year/engine type mentioned, I usually just go to the next thread... The 'ol "Help us help you".
Not sure why you hate admitting it, I always viewed that as a reasonable standpoint. I freely admit that I usually felt the same way prior to the recent change but now I am forced to cut anyone that was here before it slack they may not deserve simply because it may have been deleted. To me failure to include it is right up there with ignoring the 3 separate times a noob sees instructions not to post repair questions in the intro forum but does it anyway in terms of expecting assistance their lack of courtesy in helping us to help them might disqualify them for :angry:

·
Administrator
664 Posts
So you guys want to change it so that new users will need to provide their vehicle information in the process of registering? What about the ones still looking?

We want to make registering faster for everyone so they can start posting, and then use the progress bar to encourage them to add a vehicle in their own time.

Lee

·
Administrator
14,927 Posts
Wouldn't having 'just looking' or something to that effect as an option in the drop down box accomplish both? It was counter productive to dump all the existing user info without the payoff of forcing complete user vehicle info out of new registrants as the trade off. The progress bar doesn't encourage anything. There are plenty of existing members with past repair threads that have to be asked for vehicle info every time they post that still have not added it to their user panel. The idea of making it fast instead of right is what frustrates the members giving repair advice, the people whose input are the very reason new users register and give this site value as a viable resource as opposed to being just another automotive click bait site.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The whole reason I make the change from the text box(which really wasn't better being that all you had to do was put something in the box) to the drop down selections, was to get users to add their information, and to simplify it. Takes the guess work out of what we want you to have in there. Now........... of course there are people who just don't give a damn, and those are the people who you have to ask, and ask again to edit their information, but for the most part people who WANT to share, do. I have given up on helping people that don't give information pertinent to their car or problem.

Now..... what I would like to see is during the registration process where you have the email confirmation message and it says "click here" to go back to what you are doing, instead have it direct them to the UserCP where it's required of them to add those information fields at registration and profile updates. I understand the 'get them in quicker' thought process, but from the member side(which is the most important part of any forum) it's really frustrating trying to help people when they don't give all the information possible to help them. Just like Sheila said..... help us help you. If we can get them to do it right off the bat, it will be there. The more senior members require a little more push because we can't make it mandatory without creating havoc.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,751 Posts
Regardless of which way the procedure does or not change, I have given up asking people about their vehicle info. To me, that just seems to be common sense to include it. That is second on my list of pet peeves, the first of which is the ubiquitous title "Please Help!" without a darned bit of info.

·
Administrator
664 Posts
Hey guys,

I've made it so that users need to put in their vehicle info as a requirement for registration. If you find that this is too tedious, let me know and I'll turn it off then.

As for the users that have already registered, they will need to do it after.

Lee

1 - 20 of 41 Posts