Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my 95 sable when it gets above 80 degrees outside.
When the engine is fully warmed up and it is above 80 outside the car will run about 10 minutes then dies.I have to let it cool down then it runs for about 5 minutes then it dies again once I let it cool down then it will run fine.When it dies I could crank it over about 5 times then maybe I could get running then dies immediatly.If it is below 80 or about 70 degrees outside it will run fine all day.Either I am going to get killed in this car if I try driving above that temp.
I have heard other people with the same problem with this car I even had the fuel tank fully filled and tried to shield the fuel lines in the engine compartment with rubber hoses around it.Is there a higher pressure fuel pump for this car?.The temp gage shows normal and it has a new raditor and water pump from ford.I used the pre mix prestone in the raditor.It is driving me :angry:nuts. 3.0 liter v6 motor 4 speed automatic

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
High pressure EFI systems dont suffer from vapor lock like the old carb engines did. Your 95 is EEC IV / TFI ignition. Common for the TFI module (on side of distributor) to fail when it heats up. After the TFI cools down, it will start to work again. PIP (Hall effect pickup inside dist) is also a common failure mode. Run codes and look for a continuous memory code for intermittant PIP signal and/or IDM failure. SOmetimes faulty TFI and/or PIP set a CM code, sometimes not. Use only the Motorcraft parts for replacement, not cheap discount parts store no name junk. Ford recommends the TFI and PIP both be replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to scan the car with my auto xray and found no errors.I fully warmed up the car and it was 70 degrees outside and ran blow dryer full blast on the TFI and the lower half of the distribitor and I could not touch it was scalding hot and it did not shut down the motor at all?.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried ice on the fuel lines by the engine and that did not make a difference.I will try the TFI and the PIP and see if that makes a difference.Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I changed the TFI module that did not make a difference and just yesterday changed the distribitor and so far it has not been stalling out but it has not gotten above 80 degrees out but was running the a/c and it was about 70 degrees.I like about this car is I can work on this car with my other car the nightmare 94 camaro z28 which I got rid of just to change the spark plugs took me two days just to change and the distribitor was impossable to change was the lower end the engine below the water pump.Even car mechanics said it was a bear to change.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Personally, I have seen more PIP failures than TFI failures in EEC IV engines. Hopefully the new distributor fixes the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts