Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i hook up the vapor canister to the air intake would it recycle the fuel vapors? or would it screw up the MAF? or what if it was tied in after the MAF?

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
The vapor canister is tied into the intake system already via the purge valve, a solenoid controled by the PCM. Under some conditions (basically warm engine at cruise) purge valve opens (it is really PWM'd) and sucks stored vapors into engine. PCM knows when purge valve is open (obviously) and adjusts other parameters accordingly. Disabling any part of the EVAP system will end up turning on the CEL and setting one or more DTCs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how can i test to see if the solenoid if opening? and do you know where the vacuum hose is supposed to connect because i have it connected to a metal "T" that is on the metal line that connects to the PCV valve. i have no idea if this is correct.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
If you don't have any trouble codes then it's probably working. If you smell gas, you should say that in your post. What EXACTLY is your problem, and don't leave anything out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when i drive the vehicle smells like fuel. ive been through 2 vapor canisters in the last year. its really bad when i drive at highway speeds when it is hot out.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
Leaking injector O rings? Injector leaking externally? Leaking fuel line disconnects? If it smells of gas when driving at highway speeds I would suspect fuel leakage under the hood going into the cabin air intake. It doesnt take much of a leak to smell really bad. If the cannister or EVAP system was leaking, the EVAP system would fail the self test and the CEL would be on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts