Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a used 2001 taurus with 78k and just found out that the previous owner had a transmission flush at a jiffy lube at 76k. Im assuming it was a flush because on the receipt, it says qty 15 of the valvoline, meaning 15 quarts. but no indications the filter was changed. Anyways, jiffy lube used Valvoline Maxlife dex/merc atf. im a little worried now because all i see in the forums are people recommending mercon V atf.

Although when i looked at the specs of the fluid, it seems that it meets my tranny's requirements. heres the link: http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Maxlife_ATF.pdf

but ive also seen posts saying that Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc contains conditioners that swell seals, which is a little disconcerting.

Should i do a full atf flush or even just a fluid change with Mercon V? or is Mercon V even compatible to mix with the dex/merc? or just leave it in for until the next 25k service?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^^ not really. Seal swellers in an engine or transmission may help fix a sealing problem for a while, but in the long run they will cause more harm than good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^^^ not really. Seal swellers in an engine or transmission may help fix a sealing problem for a while, but in the long run they will cause more harm than good.
so should i flush now or wait 25k to flush and replace with mercon V?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I have been using it in my high mile Bulls for years with excellent results, but I have never had a transmission start to leak before using it, either. Don't confuse seal swelling agents with elastomers that prevent or reduce seal drying and shrinking, what seals do over time. The sixth Bull in my house just went on the road recently, and I have never had to buy a transmission for any of them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have been using it in my high mile Bulls for years with excellent results, but I have never had a transmission start to leak before using it, either. Don't confuse seal swelling agents with elastomers that prevent or reduce seal drying and shrinking, what seals do over time. The sixth Bull in my house just went on the road recently, and I have never had to buy a transmission for any of them.
thanks for the elaboration and the testimonial :) fyi, i dont believe my taurus had any leaks before the recent atf flush either.
+1 rep for danhasenauer..... thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts