Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Vulcan Taurus with AX4S AXOD Metric transmission and I need to replace the valve body cover gasket to band-aid the tranny till I can afford a rebuild. I've never done transmission work before, and I would appreciate any feedback, pictures, or suggestions anyone has. I'm specifically concerned about anything that might try to come out of the transmission when I pull the cover off.
Has anyone done this before? I would also like to avoid at all costs removing the engine, as that is not an option for me where I live, so I was going to try to strip out anything in my way and change the gasket with the power-train in place.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It can be done easily by a mechanic. You will need to pull the inner fender well, to get at the transmission mount and lower bolts. Nothing will come out when you take the cover off, but oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gasket swap went fairly well, there was a lot of dificulty getting the tranmission mount out of the way to remove the pan, as a result I only partially removed it (after fighting the vibration damper for hours) and replaced the gasket, also had to replace the outlet line from tranmission to radiator, but now there are no leaks (so far) Thank you for all the information and help (not just on this post, from reading others also).

I hope to have the trans fully rebuilt in a month or so when I can afford it. Does anyone have a good transmission place in the Pulaski County, Arkansas area? Preferably inside Little Rock, but I'm willing to go a little ways for better workmanship.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts