Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Ford Taurus SES Sedan. 202,7XXK miles. Found out today that the headgasket is going. Found a 2004 Ford Freestar for $500 (we have been going back and fourth). I really hate for my baby to go, but I can afford to fix it. Any idea of how much I can get for it? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Why not just fix the Taurus if a failing HG is all that is wrong with it. Relatively easy assuming you have a Vulcan. Any $500 car or van is going to have a whole bunch of minor (or major) problems that will cost you money and time to fix. BTDT more than once.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Why not just fix the Taurus if a failing HG is all that is wrong with it. Relatively easy assuming you have a Vulcan. Any $500 car or van is going to have a whole bunch of minor (or major) problems that will cost you money and time to fix. BTDT more than once.

agree, if the car hadnt been driven long with the milky oil, fixing it is probably the best way to go

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Probably not worth it unless the transmission has had work. It's already at 200,000 miles.

That's the same problem you'll run into with a $500 car though, you really need to know what you're looking for. I doubt you'll get a good car for that, it's getting harder and harder to find stuff worth buying at that price. You'll buy that Freestar and the transmission might blow in it instead. Then again, if the Taurus hasn't had suspension work done, it probably needs everything replaced. A 2004 vehicle for $500 likely has many miles or issues. Look for a slightly older car with less miles, fewer miles is more important than age.

I would suggest looking for a car that's worth at least $1,500.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.