Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Originally posted by SableSal@Jun 16 2004, 01:22 AM
VAK? What's a VAK? Sorry for my dumb question... but just curious if someone would explain this to me

SABLESAL
Same here...The bunny says it all.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk@Jun 16 2004, 09:53 AM
It cuts out the alternator and cooling fans, and partially cuts the power steering when you go WOT. Similar to a UDP, but electronic.
:withstupid: What Mike said. VAK stands for Vacum Accessory Kill. I'm getting ready to purchase one from Paul (SHOZ123) soon. When i spoke with him last he said he was selling them for 100 delivered. I'd check with him to make sure this is still the case though.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Best $100 performance mod you can do, IMO. The difference is noticable, at least on my car. From my experiences, anything less than 5HP (like a CAI) is unnoticable on the butt dyno. >5HP for $100 is pretty good, IMO. And the install is pretty easy once you find the right vacuum tube (inside joke between me and SHOZ123 :) ) Seriously, it only takes 20 minutes or so.

In addition to the stuff mikehawk said, it also cuts off the A/C compressor if it is on (A/C, EATC cold, or defrost.) Our cars already cut the A/C compressor when you go WOT, but not instantaneously like the VAK does.

Plus, when you explain the VAK to other car modders, they'll think you're 733t. :)

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Yes I sell and make the VAK. I cannot stress enough what a really good battery will do with the VAK compared to just a normal auto-start battery.

I have a small Odyssey PC 925 that only weighs 26 lbs but still puts out the power when needed. A PC 1200 is recommended but if you have a large electrical load there is a PC 1700. http://www.odysseyfactory.com/specs.htm

I do have a 100A voltage regulator. When my VAK kicks in so does the voltage regulator which I have set at 15.15V. The alternator kicks out and the lights get brighter on mine. :flamethrower:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
so is that a pic of the VAK or the voltage regulator?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, Paul...

That picture is in the trunk. It shows the voltage regulator (it says "Jacobs AccuVolt") and apparently a solenoid(?) in the foreground.

The VAK sits in the engine bay. It is a small black box, about 3"x4"x1.25", with a loom of wires and a 1/4" vacuum tube coming out of the housing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts