Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a vacuum gauge to monitor my cars vacuum to keep tabs on my driving and to hopefully get better mileage out of my car. I am how ever having trouble finding a good vacuum line to tap in to for this to work. If someone could help me locate a good line that would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
on the gauge there is a green section, as long as i keep the needle in that section my mileage should be decent. its when i get out of that section that the car will use more gas and lower my mileage. this is to help me keep my driving in check. cause when ya only get 20 hours a week at work and drive 2+ hours a day driving back and forth to and from work. ya need all the help you can get.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
No need for a vac gauge to improve MPG. Just follow standard "highmiler" driving techniques...... egg between you foot and gas pedal idea, keep RPM low, get into OD as quickly as you can, no rapid starts, anticipate stop lights / signs and coast as much as you can, set tires to max psi listed on the sidewall, etc, etc.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
on the gauge there is a green section, as long as i keep the needle in that section my mileage should be decent. its when i get out of that section that the car will use more gas and lower my mileage. this is to help me keep my driving in check. cause when ya only get 20 hours a week at work and drive 2+ hours a day driving back and forth to and from work. ya need all the help you can get.
Sorry I am not familiar with that type of gauge. Any information? How do you stay in the green?

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
You stay in the green by keeping engine vacuum high. In other words, you stay in the green by keeping your foot out of it. Personally, I dont need a vac gauge to tell me to keep my foot out of it to get better MPG.

Years back JC Whitney used to sell these things. I seem to remember they were called a Mileometer or something like that. They even had a "MPG scale" on them in addition to the inches mercury scale. Needless to say, the MPG scale was totally bogus.

·
Registered
374 Posts
European manufacturers implemented them into their factory gauge clusters, I fondly remember this old heavy Mercedes I drove once. Had a sweeping "MPG" gauge, was really useless as with those lead turds you had to floor it to get it to even move, so everytime you accelerated the gauge flat lined.

AutoMeter sells a digital version of those gauges these days, called an EcoMeter, but it requires a CANBus ECU, to which my ECU does not have (Ford started implementation around the 2002/2003 model year, but on carry-overs like the Taurus, it may not have gotten CAN until 2004 or 2005 MY). The EcoMeter is at least a little more calibrated to each particular engine than the old vacuum "MPG" meters.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i took that gauge back and picked up a tach. now im having trouble hooking it up. one source i found said the wire to tap into was a tan/yellow wire on the coil pack. i did that and nothing happened. there are actually two tan/yellow wires there and i tapped both, with no luck. was this info wrong or is there another wire i can try?

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
No clue on the wire colors, but another idea....... go to the JY and get a gen 2 Sable or Taurus LX cluster for $20. Those have tachs, and are 100% plug and play. Use your old speedo in the "new" cluster and you still have the same miles shown.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
^^^^ same here. Nick (Bull Geek) got me a nice cluster with tach for my "new to me" 95 GL Vulcan at a JY near him (thanks again Nick) and shipped it to me. I bet if you contact him, he could get one for you next time he makes a JY run. If you go the new cluster with tach route, feel free to ask me about any problems you have with the install. I did mine about 2 months ago, and all the details are still pretty fresh in my mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.