Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a 1998 V8 Sho with the AX4N transmission. It has the cam issue that's common to these things, plus a few more issues. I found a 1999 Taurus with the 3.0 V6 Duratec and AX4N transmission that's bad. We put the transmission from the V8 Sho in the V6 Taurus and everything bolts up. But, the Sho transmission doesn't have the speedometer/odometer plug that the V6 transmission has. It has a plug instead. After putting the transmission in, it will go into Drive and Reverse, but once on the road it will not shift. Question is, is the shift pattern generated by the speedometer? What makes the transmission shift? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
No.

The Gen 3 SHO speed is sensed by the ABS and the computer controls the shifting from there. Just hooking up a VSS won't do you any good, there is no internal gear to drive the VSS.

You really need a V6 trans.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
What he is saying is there is no drive gear inside the transmission. So if you break that top off and shove a VSS into it, theres nothing in the transmission to spin it to give a speed reading. You have to completely dissassemble the transmission and put a differential with a VSS drive gear for it to work.

The Gen3 sho uses the ABS for speed. Reads from the rings with teeth on each of the axles for the ABS computer. The ABS sends out the signal for speed. Maybe on the duratec taurus can tap into the ABS for speed input into the computer. Don't know, never messed with that system.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Also the stall and final drive ratio is different so even if you got it to work the CPU wont work with it. Get a different transmission.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
So, you guys are saying the SHO has NO VSS? Why are there both types of VSS listed for it then? Strange...

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I am not a big van of trans swaps anyway. Not when you can rebuild a trans and fix its issues and even make it better than new. When you simply swap another trans, you are out the cost of that trans, you are stuck with an old trans, and you have any issues it had from before. Even if it seems to work fine, it has less than its full potential. Maybe its just me, but if I'm gonna go through the effort of swapping a trans, I would rather actually fix it. I think its cheaper and better in the long run.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I am not a big van of trans swaps anyway. Not when you can rebuild a trans and fix its issues and even make it better than new. When you simply swap another trans, you are out the cost of that trans, you are stuck with an old trans, and you have any issues it had from before. Even if it seems to work fine, it has less than its full potential. Maybe its just me, but if I'm gonna go through the effort of swapping a trans, I would rather actually fix it. I think its cheaper and better in the long run.
+1
A rebuild with better than original parts has never let me down.
And, thanks for an education on SHO transmissions Guys!
(although it seems to me a system so dependent on an ABS signal is a serious design flaw)

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
My point being that on any other Taurus, if you lose ABS, you can still drive the car. It just functions like a non-ABS vehicle. And why does a G3 SHO have a VSS if it serves no purpose?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts