Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i havent been on here in a while, so im sayin "wussup" and also, ive been thinkin lately about swapping my engine in the future... I am gonna drive my engine til it or the transmission dies, and then, if i can, swap it out with an SHO engine, and also, if i can, convert it to manual transmission, anybody got any input on the possibility of this? Where to buy SHO engines?.. maybe a different SHO engine would be better? i dont really know, i am just now starting my research on the SHO motors... ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
theres a few posts floating around on this already, survey says, it would be cheaper and easier to buy a MTX SHO than to swap engines.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
No one has put a MTX behind a V8SHO engine yet.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I don't know of any MTX that bolt to the V8 SHO motor.

I believe the 2.5L Duratec and 3.0L Duratec share the same bolt pattern for the bell housings, and the 3.0L and the 3.4L SHO both use the AX4N, you may be able to bolt a MTX-75 out of a Contour to the 3.4L SHO. However, the MTX-75 is not capable of handling that much power for long. When people turbo the 2.5L 'tec, the trannies are the weak link.

G

·
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Jun 30 2004, 05:23 PM
No one has put a MTX behind a V8SHO engine yet.
Key word being yet. :ph34r:

Personally, I think this is a killer swap. V8 power, lighter weight (slightly) of a SLO. The ultimate sleeper. For a while, I kicked around the idea of swapping a V8 into Anonda's car, but we really need to sell it to get money to buy her something else.

For what it's worth, try to buy a rear ended SHO, and swap the whole subframe into your SLO. That way you get all the wiring harnesses, etc. in one shot. If you buy it as a parts car, then you're sure to have everything you need to do the swap.

As a bonus, insurance will consider it a SLO, possibly making it cheaper for you. I know some companies don't differentiate, but some do.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
WB by the way. What happened to make cash not an issue?

You realize that following through on this would make you the god of all things SHO. Enough money will make anything work. I say do it, good lawd that would be a killer swap.

·
Registered
486 Posts
On this subject, anyone though about putting the V8 ina gen IV?? That would be sweet as hell. If I could find the motor, I might buy it, set it up on a motor stand, find a way to mount a manual tranny to it and have it all ready before it ever goen in the car. Now that sounds like a good future project. After I buy the CBR 600 I am looking at today...... :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by mth676@Jul 1 2004, 09:02 AM
On this subject, anyone though about putting the V8 ina gen IV?? That would be sweet as hell. If I could find the motor, I might buy it, set it up on a motor stand, find a way to mount a manual tranny to it and have it all ready before it ever goen in the car. Now that sounds like a good future project. After I buy the CBR 600 I am looking at today...... :ph34r:
As nice as that sounds, is it really worth the 30hp over the duratec? That might make putting a manual in a gen4 easier, but it seems like I'd rather just get a tec. and then you could use that extra money to develop a roots-style blower sc and hopefully get 75more hp >:O

G

·
Originally posted by j0rd4n+Jul 1 2004, 11:56 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j0rd4n @ Jul 1 2004, 11:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mth676@Jul 1 2004, 09:02 AM
On this subject, anyone though about putting the V8 ina gen IV??  That would be sweet as hell.  If I could find the motor, I might buy it, set it up on a motor stand, find a way to mount a manual tranny to it and have it all ready before it ever goen in the car.  Now that sounds like a good future project.  After I buy the CBR 600 I am looking at today...... :ph34r:
As nice as that sounds, is it really worth the 30hp over the duratec? That might make putting a manual in a gen4 easier, but it seems like I'd rather just get a tec. and then you could use that extra money to develop a roots-style blower sc and hopefully get 75more hp >:O [/b][/quote]
Actually, 35HP over the 'tec, and I don't know how much torque. ;) Plus, nothing beats the V8 rumble (except flowmasters on vulcans :ph34r: :p ).

Yes, the thought of putting a V8 SHO motor in my vulcan crossed my mind more than once. If I were to try it, it wouldn't be until the car has aged a little more. I've still got 52k miles of warranty left. :lol:

·
Registered
114 Posts
MTX-75 is a direct bolt on to 3.0 duratec. I am working on getting one, but funds slowed down since now I am putting it into my new body kit fund. A SHO v-8 and trans should drop right in without modification except PCM swap.
The only fab work to do to get an MTX-75 in might be pulley replacement. Then you lengthen the shift linkage. It might require different CV axles. Then you flash your PCM to remove all the trani codes. You could probably get Americanmotorsport.com to change your PCM so that your check trans light comes on at certain RPMs. Then you change the cover for the light and you can have an upshift indicator if you want. Just an idea to make it look like it actually was a stock part, but that might not be what you are going for. Also the shifter lever might be a little short, I havent checked on that yet. So you might use the shifter lever from another car.
Of course all this information is only if you are using a GEN 3

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by madness_spirit@Jul 1 2004, 11:49 AM
MTX-75 is a direct bolt on to 3.0 duratec. I am working on getting one, but funds slowed down since now I am putting it into my new body kit fund. A SHO v-8 and trans should drop right in without modification except PCM swap.
The only fab work to do to get an MTX-75 in might be pulley replacement. Then you lengthen the shift linkage. It might require different CV axles. Then you flash your PCM to remove all the trani codes. You could probably get Americanmotorsport.com to change your PCM so that your check trans light comes on at certain RPMs. Then you change the cover for the light and you can have an upshift indicator if you want. Just an idea to make it look like it actually was a stock part, but that might not be what you are going for. Also the shifter lever might be a little short, I havent checked on that yet. So you might use the shifter lever from another car.
Of course all this information is only if you are using a GEN 3
Wouldn't this apply exactly to the gen4 'tec as well? To my knowledge, it has the same tranny as well, does it not? Ok, fyi, you just got me really excited...if you were next to me, I might hump you right now......but I'm not gay. :)

I'd still rather mod out a 'tec, cause I swear that it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. :ph34r: Where might I be able to find this MTX-75?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
The MTX-75 might not be the best choice if you plan on pushing more than 200HP. :blink:

There is a project slated for a Mondeo 6spd manual behind a 3.4L Yamaha V8. However, construction won't begin until fall/winter '04, and details are unavailable (stipulations of the contract.)

·
Registered
663 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
MTX-75 comes out of contours

Contour owners love putting our 3.0s in their contours so I doubt that you would get a lot of problems out of that trani. As far as I have seen they have very little problem, and a lot of those guys are getting much more power than these engines make stock. I think that pulleys and bell housing are different on 00 up engines, but I dont know. I just think I remember hearing that somewhere before. One of the people in here that know gen 3 and gen 4 should probably chime in and let us know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know of any MTX that bolt to the V8 SHO motor.

I believe the 2.5L Duratec and 3.0L Duratec share the same bolt pattern for the bell housings, and the 3.0L and the 3.4L SHO both use the AX4N, you may be able to bolt a MTX-75 out of a Contour to the 3.4L SHO. However, the MTX-75 is not capable of handling that much power for long. When people turbo the 2.5L 'tec, the trannies are the weak link.
L
So I could bolt up a 3.4L SHO to my 3L tranny ?

Jeees , tempting. Theres a 3.4L out of a 99 for 1500 on car monkeys.

If only the 3L wasn't so damn fast already .....

·
Administrator
15,194 Posts
Yes, a 3.4 bolts up to an AX4N. No, that is not all you would need to do. There are threads here on swap overs.
This thread has been resting in peace for 12 years, please refrain from this type of extreme necro posting

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.