Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ive had my flowtech warlock on for about 18 months and......

Its COMPLETELY rusted to crap, cant even believe they sell things like this. didnt even make it through 2 new england winters. i really regret not coating it with some high temp paint.

anyways, i got a new muffler that im putting on soon and am laid off right now so im trying to do all my own work.

I just want to see what guys who have installed there own mufflers at the rear have done for a universal type exhaust hanger that is different than OEM.

im looking for something different than the universal ones at autozone where they go through the exhaust clamp then you have to tap a screw in somewhere.

Also, i have a stainless steel oval muffler so a round clamp based hanger will not work, please let me know some options.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
You aren't going to get far without a welder. Just not many options out there.

You could always get someone off craigslist with a welder to show up and do it for a few bucks.

·
Super Moderator
8,765 Posts
^^^^ +1

Any custom exhaust work is going to require welding equipment and the skills to go with it.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i kinda figured that was my option, but this muffler is all stainless and i really wanted to not weld it if it was possible.

is my easiest bet to cut the stock hanger with a sawsall at the connection and then just have my friend weld that to the new muffler

·
Registered
203 Posts
well, I don't know how professional a job you want to do, but when the muffler rusted off my '98 Taurus, I went and bought a new one with the intention of replacing it myself.

I sawed off what was left of my old muffler with a reciprocating saw so I would have a nice clean pipe section.

Then my autoparts store had a bin with all different size pieces of tubing. I bought one that had an outside diameter measurement equal to the Inside diameter of the pipe left on the car (it took a few tries and trips to get one the right size, can't remember what the size was now though).

so basically, I had this:

I hammered the smaller pipe into the exhaust pipe from the car, and the put the muffler over the smaller pipe.

I then secured both ends with exhaust clamps like this:

The clamps squished the pipe down nicely, ensuring it wouldn't come apart.

As for the hangers, while I still had the factory one working (it was slightly off from the length difference of me adding pipe without really measuring anything), I also made my own to be 100% sure it would be secure.

I bought some metal exhaust strapping, and a rubber hanger to dampen vibration. Then I basically looped it around some metal near the rear bumper , screwed it to one end of the rubber hanger, and with the other end used some more strapping to attach the muffler to the other end of the rubber hanger. (so basically it was strapping to car - rubber - strapping to muffler) It worked out perfectly.

It was far from a professional job, but it felt really secure, quieted the car down, passed emissions/safety inspection, and lasted for the rest of the cars life.

I saved hundreds of dollars by doing it myself too.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
steel, any chance you have a picture of it? im really anxious to try this muffler out but my funds are tied up at the moment so i might try this and eventually have it done professionally. because i dont really want to weld the hanger to the new muffler because i might not be using it id like to test it out for a bit and let it break in.

·
Registered
203 Posts
steel, any chance you have a picture of it? im really anxious to try this muffler out but my funds are tied up at the moment so i might try this and eventually have it done professionally. because i dont really want to weld the hanger to the new muffler because i might not be using it id like to test it out for a bit and let it break in.

sorry, we got rid of that taurus last year so I can't get you and actual picture, however, I have pics of what I used.

this is the strapping I used. Flexible metal with holes in it to wrap around your muffler:

You will probably need some extra bolts and nuts if you do it the way I did, but if you are attaching it to the factory hanger mount, you won't. The picture basically shows how to use it.

then from the new strapping, I attached the strapping to the rubber hanger I bought (through one of the holes in it):

This just prevents muffler noise from being transferred into the car.

now in your case, you could probably just hook that onto the factory hanger mount on the car.

Since I was making an extra one (my original spot was being used), I added more strapping to the other end and looped it around a strong-looking place I found. You probably don't have to do this though.

I got all my parts from Autozone, but I'm sure any auto parts store carries it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That one looks cheap and lightweight but you can get stronger versions of it. If you secure the exhaust system securely by the pipes before and after the muffler, as long as you have the muffler clamped on tight, it will be fine. I've installed with just clamps, no welding before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts