Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Taurus SE with 185K miles. I changed the oil every 3000 miles. It has been an awesome car until it lost coolant and overheated on the Interstate. There was damage to the heads and gaskets so I had both banks replaced with rebuilt heads including valves etc. Now the car uses a qt of oil every 500-750 miles. It NEVER used any oil between changes prior to the overheat problem. I am NOT getting any smoke from the exhaust, nor am I seeing any leak on the ground. I took it back to the NAPA shop who performed the head repairs but they could not find anything. They stated because the engine overheated, the oil rings might be leaking oil into the ignition chamber of the cylinder. If this was correct wouldn't I be seeing smoke of some kind in the exhaust? Is there any method of testing the exhaust to see if I am in fact burning oil, if not does anyone have any ideas where this oil is going? Thank SOOOOOO MucH

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had a similar mystery long time ago with a Dodge 318 cu in 1975. It drank oil from brand new (quart per 400 miles) . There were no leaks or oily exhaust. The only guess was oil control rings. By 75000 miles it stopped burning oil???

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Do you get a puff of blue smoke on startup? Some blue smoke on decel? (Have someone follow you to watch). If so, the valve seals are shot / incorrect or cheap junk seals were installed during the head rebuild or valve to guide clearance is excessive due to poor rebuild.

Your oil consumption isnt horribly excessive. Even for a brand new vehicle, Ford considers 800 to 1000 miles per quart acceptable.

What brand / weight oil are you using? Some brands tend to burn off somewhat more quickly than others.

As stated above, check PCV system.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Well just for reference My vehicle (2000 SE FFV 3.0L Vulcan) with 135K burns 1/2 a quart every 15K so your oil consumption is HIGH. I use Mobil 1 Full synthetic and a long life Oil filter with my oil being analyzed at blackstone labratories. I suggest sending in an oil sample to them they can tell you a lot about your engine and whats going on with it.

Blackstone Labs.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Well just for reference My vehicle (2000 SE FFV 3.0L Vulcan) with 135K burns 1/2 a quart every 15K so your oil consumption is HIGH. I use Mobil 1 Full synthetic and a long life Oil filter with my oil being analyzed at blackstone labratories. I suggest sending in an oil sample to them they can tell you a lot about your engine and whats going on with it.

Blackstone Labs.
If the problem is a loss of oil, how will oil analysis help??? It's either leaking or being burned off after blowing past the rings.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
RIGHT..... As the OP said it's not leaking and If it's blowing past the rings there will be GASOLINE content in the oil speeding up the bearing wear and causing further damage, take a look at their website before you think that I'm just tossing out random un-related information that wouldn't help Look HERE at a sample oil analysis. An Oil analysis will tell him what condition the motor is in and why it's consuming oil. To the OP do you have excessive blow-by?

Reactions: SiteReader45

·
Registered
670 Posts
3000 miles is a little too short of an OCI for the Vulcan if thats the engine you have. The severe service interval is 5,000 miles on conventional FYI. Just a heads up for when ya get it repaired.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
RIGHT..... As the OP said it's not leaking and If it's blowing past the rings there will be GASOLINE content in the oil speeding up the bearing wear and causing further damage, take a look at their website before you think that I'm just tossing out random un-related information that wouldn't help Look HERE at a sample oil analysis. An Oil analysis will tell him what condition the motor is in and why it's consuming oil. To the OP do you have excessive blow-by?
He could spend time and money on an inconclusive oil analysis, or he could perform a local test that would give quick and definite results: like putting his hand over the oil fill while idling, or running a leakdown check. A chemical analysis is not as definitive as a mechanical analysis and would just be a waste of time for the OP.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I respect your Opinion WJC, but an oil analysis will tell him about the condition of his engine Bearings, seals and the like... and if its even worth fixing and not just dumping in a new one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I suspect your oil scrape rings took a beating during the overheat.

I would not worry too much about it, keep an eye on the level and keep driving.

I would do a compression test (no this does not tell you if the oil rings are good), but gives you an impression of the status of the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts