Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looked at this Lin, 42K on a 10 year old.

Really clean, but, rust just under the skin.

I do not drive high miles now, so I need time not mileage.

Nice buy for someone driving lots of miles.

300 mile day for me.

Always a next time.

$7K asking.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My grandma's last car was a Continental. I think it used the beefier ax4n that was also used in the SHO Taurus. Watch out for the rack and pinion leaking, the power steering modules, the electronic struts cost a fortune to replace, and you really don't want to know how hard it is to replace those back 4 spark plugs on that car. I would not suggest getting that car for the long run. If you want a rust free car, get one down here.

P.S they're asking way too much for that car, just becouse "low miles". Used 10 year old Lincoln's are worth nothing.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
My grandma's last car was a Continental. I think it used the beefier ax4n that was also used in the SHO Taurus. Watch out for the rack and pinion leaking, the power steering modules, the electronic struts cost a fortune to replace, and you really don't want to know how hard it is to replace those back 4 spark plugs on that car. I would not suggest getting that car for the long run. If you want a rust free car, get one down here.

P.S they're asking way too much for that car, just becouse "low miles". Used 10 year old Lincoln's are worth nothing.
Basically, watch out for anything a ten year old ford needs. :lol2:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I think AX4N transmission was used in the Duratec Fords. And Mercury Sables too...

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lin Parts

^+1 on the electronic struts costing a fortune! Wiper motor is a common fail point.
Wiper motor is same as Taurus Sable.

WM684 on RockAuto by Motorcraft.

Never had any fail after Taurus/Sable quit the hidden wiper system.

Front struts with active suspension are about $275 rear shocks about $200. I figure if you can afford the lux ride, you can pay the piper. Never replaced on on my 4 Lin Cont's.

Never replced any suspension part, engine or trans, or accesory.

I bought 3 one year old, Factory Ex and lease cars and drove them 3 years to near the 100K and traded up, '91, '93, '96. Then bought the '02 new and now at 96K. We are now down to about 9K per year and one 'trip' per year so they last a bit longer. So for me, tires and brakes is about all done.

The Cont was so low production volume there is little data about how they lasted/failed except under warrenty. Assembly quliaty was horrible and dealers had to redo them to fix the factory errors. Last one has 15 trips to warrenty, and as many as 3 items per visit, and usually 3 visits per fix, refix, and refix. Once the warrenty fixes are done, no issues on any of them. '01 had transmission, '03 had engine, '06 mostly trim and ign key. The trans was recall, they came and took my engine and put a new production line assembly in my '03. They like factory truck dirct to dealer with 2 drivers and took mine quickly back to the lab for tests.

-chart-

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
PS for Lin Project

Got a unused seat belt caught in my '02 Lin power seat gears and killed the forward/back.

Got a used one from my local Pick a Part for $22. About an hour to get the track out. Had to hot wire it with a battery pack to get it in position to remove the bolts. Also to check to see if it would run in all directions. It was good.

I cut the wires and took them with the frame. I will not need them as mine will stay with the my seat, just plug them in the correct spots.

Sometimes cars get way too complicated. They have heat b & s, seat belt fastened, load sensing, air bag side, lumbar and memory at least.

Taking the seat out of the car is no big deal, as long as it is mobile. If it cannot move you must hope it is in mid range, else you are in big trouble. In the donar car, someone had removed the rear bolts, but the front bolts were near impossible to access.

Except for the memory, the Taurus/Sable will look much the same. Just in case this helps someone.

-chart- (the old coot)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts