Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went back to the pull-a-part yard and found a Sable AND Taurus where both had instrument gauges that has a silver trim around them. I want to know if there is a way I can change the miles on the used gauge cluster to match the current mileage on the car?

one cluster has 148K on it and the other has 184K

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haven't had time to switch the chips yet, but it works slightly better since i cleaned the metal contacts with some alcohol pads.

maybe if I can roll the mileage back on the 2 used gauges, maybe they will be better (they look better too with the silver trim around the gauges)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Do you have digit wheels on odometer? I have the same setup on my 97 F150 and need to do the same with the JY cluster. Someone did with 2 small screw drivers. With 1 separate the moving mechanism from the wheel, with the other turn the wheel. Let me know if it works.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Wait why are you replacing the speedometer? The whole instrument cluster will dissassemble. Clear plastic, black/silver bezel, then the gauge pods will separate if you want to swap your speedometer over. Otherewise, under Topic Finder you'll find a writeup on adjusting the mileage.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
the reason I'm replacing the gauge cluster is I found this beauty cluster (along with another one just like it from a Taurus) in a junk Sable at the pull-a-part yard. I thought it would look great with the matching grey interior. I just want to match the mileage the car has now so I can put the new cluster in

Or, would it be easier just to swap the needles and silver trim from this cluster to my current one?

Also scored a rear spoiler off a '99 Taurus that will fit my Sable (I set it on the Sable and it will sit perfectly, just needs to be repainted from gold to silver)

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,410 Posts
I put the same cluster in my Taurus GL, I like it better as well...there is a write up somewhere I think in the topic finder about how to change odometer setting. when I replaced the needle to the accurate speed I used my GPS... I had the clear plastic cover off also and when the GPS said 60 I put the needle back on. I can tell you more if you want about how I did mine.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
as far as just swapping the needles from orange to red, is there any special precautions or do i remove them as the needles sit when the cluster is removed?

btw, I'm only swapping needles and the gauge trim.... not replacing anything else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I changed my needles to the red ones, I went down the highway and set the cruz to 60 mph then pulled the orange needle off and put the red one on. If I remember right I used a dinner fork to get under and pop the old needles off lol

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts