Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I've been doing all around maintenance on my 96 taurus...things I should've taken care of before the fat lady sung out ....luckily it was before the requiem for my car was given in total.
i'm looking to flush out my brake fluid. I know I've neglected this step. I've had the car in three years time , and never done it once. The only time Fluid has exited or been introduced to my car is when I might have been fooling with the brakes in some fashion and bled them out a bit.
So my question is this- I was reading about the different methods of flushing out the old fluid, which ones are potentially harmful or better... The way that i've always done it- the two man setup of pumping the brakes- seemingly is POTENTIALLY(?) harmful if you press the master cylinder down past it's normal bottom.It goes and scrubs against all the rust, crud and booliewoogers that lie in wait inside there that've been collecting, just praying to cause me to have a high speed brake failure on the interstate.
SO i saw this little setup that someone had made....a power bleeder. a Pressurized canister filled with brake fluid that allows you to simultaneously bleed and refill the brake lines. Here's the link.

bleeder

So -anyone tried this??? (yes, finally, that is my question) Recommend it? thoughts? comments?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I tried a power bleeder. Too much hassle getting it to seal on the MC and you potentially may build up too much pressure. I prefer to vacuum bleed. It is an easy one man job that only requires minimum skill and material.

Harbor Freight has on that works fairly well. I do first take the bleeder screw all the way out and out on some thread seaklant. Then put them back in, connect the hose, crack them one two flats and pump up 10" of vacuum. Let it come down to near 0" and pump it back up to 10" again. Do this as many times as you need to. go get the old fluid out.

First though you should get as much old fluid out of the MC as possible and add new.Then go to one of the fronts and do that one. Go to the opposite side rear and do that one. Repeat for the other two starting in the front first. Make sure the fluid in the MC stays full. Usually topping it off between wheels is all that is needed.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I tried a power bleeder. Too much hassle getting it to seal on the MC and you potentially may build up too much pressure. I prefer to vacuum bleed. It is an easy one man job that only requires minimum skill and material.

Harbor Freight has on that works fairly well. I do first take the bleeder screw all the way out and out on some thread seaklant. Then put them back in, connect the hose, crack them one two flats and pump up 10" of vacuum. Let it come down to near 0" and pump it back up to 10" again. Do this as many times as you need to. go get the old fluid out.

First though you should get as much old fluid out of the MC as possible and add new.Then go to one of the fronts and do that one. Go to the opposite side rear and do that one. Repeat for the other two starting in the front first. Make sure the fluid in the MC stays full. Usually topping it off between wheels is all that is needed.
^^^+1

·
Registered
670 Posts
This is the good one that i have heard people use easily.

Amazon.com: Motive Products Custom Ford Power Bleeder(0107) Ford 3 Tab: Automotive

The method that i have heard that is the best is to use the power bleeder but to not use the fluid in the bleeder.

You just pressurize the pump and keep topping off the fluid in the car before it gets too low, also less mess this way.

I have used the 2 man method before never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea-- I'd asked a few people here and there--I mostly got people shaking their heads sarcastically when I told them about reading that going too far down was detrimental. Regardless, I would like to try one of the vacuum or pressure pumps just to try it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts