Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive read that when youre done cleaning the engine with throttle cleaner and you follow all the instruction on the can and you are done with it ive read that after you add cold water to the engine when it all clean into the troat about 16 once and this will completely remove carbon deposit as the cold water will turn carbon into dust

wow is this true ?

and read this
info on a decarbon procedure

still wondering if this is good or not

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
:huh: This seems kind of sketchy - putting water into the intake?!?! I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing that.

If you're looking at doing a carbon cleaning, some of the local shops can do a BG Carbon Depletion service. You can also go out and get a can of BG44K and add that to your gas tank once every 3-5k miles...The BG44K is recommended by Pat Goss (the mechanic from PBS's Motorweek show - he does a local auto show in the DC Area on weekends) and I tried it...It helped a lot with a hard starting/rough running problem on my g/f's '98 Saturn. The 44K is only $20 for a can, worth a shot IMO...

With the BG44K, Goss recommends that you put it into your fuel tank at a fill up and when you plan on doing more short trip driving. That way, it runs through the fuel system and goes to work on the carbon, etc. while your car is off, then you restart the car and the carbon and other crap is loosened up enough that it gets burned up and sent out the exhaust...Sounds reasonable...

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I also don't know about putting water into the intake. I'm assuming you mean when the intake is off the car. In that case, I would say that it can't hurt, unless it might rust. I see no reason why you'd put water in there though.

As for fuel system cleaner, I've always used Techron by Chevron. It's about $15 a bottle, and I use it like once every four months or so...

JR

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
injecting water into the intake over a long long period of time will clean the inside of an engine. A one time deal is dangerous if not done correctly and not effective in the least.

Search for water or alcahol injection on google.

Brad

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, you can inject water into your engine actually. It lowers the temperatures in the cylinders to prevent detonation, but is usually reserved for high compression/boost/power applications (my team did it when we turbo'ed a Miata engine).

As for cleaning out carbon, I see how that would work, and I think it's perfectly fine. You're not dumping two cups of water into your engine at one time, but rather letting the vacuum pull a small, but steady, stream of water into the airflow. Eventually that water will find its way into your engine, and will be instantly vaporized by the heat of the cylinders. The engine will still inject the same amount of gas into the cylinders, so combustion will take place. As long as the water doesn't find its way into your fuel system, you'll be fine-- it's when you start trying to combust pure water that you run into trouble.

Remember, water vapor is in your engine all the time as a byproduct of combustion. Adding a little more couldn't hurt... I'm 99.9% sure of that.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jul 9 2004, 10:34 PM
I also don't know about putting water into the intake. I'm assuming you mean when the intake is off the car. In that case, I would say that it can't hurt, unless it might rust. I see no reason why you'd put water in there though.

As for fuel system cleaner, I've always used Techron by Chevron. It's about $15 a bottle, and I use it like once every four months or so...

JR
The procedure shown in the link describes this with the intake still on, engine warm...

I used Techron regularly in my '87 T-Bird, which seemed to work well too...

The aquatune thing looks interesting, but I think I'll wait for someone else to try it out first...I'd rather not do anything to the Duratec that will void the remaining 5 years of warranty on it... :p

·
Registered
389 Posts
Beefstu01 is on the right track. When the injected water hits a carbon deposit, it vaporizes. What it also does is break down that carbon deposit. There's nothing new about this procedure or decarbonizing. I've used Seafoam before to decarbon my motorcycle. Pour about 2 tablespoons into each warm cylinder, let it soak for a bit, then proceed to gas the entire neighborhood with stinky white smoke.
Even on Seafoam's website does it tell you to pour it directly down the intake of a running car.
When I was into VW's a few years ago, water injection was a big hit on overworked, overheated aircooled engines. Fuel mileage goes up, engine power goes up (on a 50hp VW, every little bit helps) and they run cooler. Plus, they're alot cleaner come rebuild time.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i use the vacuum on the fuel regulator cuz it has a lot of suction and cuz it easy of access

i took my can in a spray of carb cleaner and use the can and put it a half of a bottle of windshield wiper

then you start the car and make the car till its hot

then you pass the carb cleaner and at the end make the car stall with it and wait 20 min after that you start it back up and then at the same place you start adding about 16 once of cold water and let it sip it in slowly and don't let the car stall

and voila it really work my car is now purring like a cat even do about 10 k mile i did a tune at at the shop with the power stuff and still it had some left lollllllllll now nothing is left enjoy

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts