Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Please help me out. I had a perfectly working tranny ('07 Taurus - Vulcan) until I just changed my transmission fluid at a Ford dealership (Maxwell Ford in Austin). It jerked at P right after I stepped in and turned on the AC. Then again once I put it in D and so on and on - I went back driving 3 miles. They said they double checked everything and used the right amount of right fluid (In the invoice - it says 12 qt. of 'universal' ATF). They also mentioned that something's going on with the tranny and old, thick fluid was probably holding it together. That is not acceptable by any means. I drove it back home (15 miles) and now I am sitting around without a functional car. All I wanted to do is take care of transmission as I just hit 100K miles. Is a fluid change at a Ford dealership supposed to destroy a perfectly working tranny? Is it too late?

Please help me out. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Not sure how you get 12 quarts in a transmission unless they did a flush. I maybe wrong and someone will chime in but it is more like 8 quarts with a pan drop and filter. Did you have a pan drop and filter change or just a change of fluid without dropping the pan? I would ask they for the Universal type bottom. Can't believe a dealer would use that instead of Mercon V.

My guess is the fluid they used, however people say never to flush an older transmission.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not sure how you get 12 quarts in a transmission unless they did a flush. I maybe wrong and someone will chime in but it is more like 8 quarts with a pan drop and filter. Did you have a pan drop and filter change or just a change of fluid without dropping the pan? I would ask they for the Universal type bottom. Can't believe a dealer would use that instead of Mercon V.

My guess is the fluid they used, however people say never to flush an older transmission.
Yes - It was a flush w/o pan drop even though I asked them to replace the filter. So 12 qt sounds about right? Btw, I checked the fluid (using the way mentioned in the manual), the dipstick was dry! I added one 1 qt - it's shifting much better now (not 100%) , but still the stick is dry. So flush w/o pan drop - 12 + 1 qt (I added) - I am very close to 13.5 qt number mentioned in the manual. Should I add more? I am also paranoid about overfilling it. So far after the flush, I have driven 25 miles in total - is it too much ? Can I fill it to the correct level without driving it around for more miles (like the manual says)? I don't want to cause any more damage if possible.

"people say never to flush an older transmission" - you're so right. Actually, never even touch an older transmission. You won't believe the tranny on my other vulcan (05) died within 5K miles of adding the highly popular additive (lucas is the name I think). This time I was just being pro-active and was changing the fluid at a dealership to avoid another broken tranny :(

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Please clarify whether trans fluid was changed (pan drop/pumped out) or flushed. Ford now advises against flushing and they should know that at a dealer. Likewise get some clarification on what fluid they put in it, under no circumstances should any fluid other than Mercon V be used.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please clarify whether trans fluid was changed (pan drop/pumped out) or flushed. Ford now advises against flushing and they should know that at a dealer. Likewise get some clarification on what fluid they put in it, under no circumstances should any fluid other than Mercon V be used.
Please check my previous post. I am also attaching a picture of the invoice. Few more clarifications:

It says multi vehicle ATF (my bad - I mentioned 'universal' earlier). The part number is 112978. If I google for '112978 Automatic transmission fluid' I don't get reference to any mercon V motorcraft fluid.

The comment says 12 qt - I got charged for 14 and then I added 1 more and it's still dry (manual lists capacity as 13.5). I'm so confused now - I have no leak !

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
OP, I was typing as you were posting, did not see your previous post until now. A Ford dealer should have advised against a flush and certainly shouldn't be using 'universal' ATF. Members who didn't know better and went to get flushes have posted here that dealers have refused to flush their transmissions.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Multi-vehicle = universal = crap. This was an actual Ford dealership??

The way I see it is there are 2 HUGE faults..... 1) Any late FoMoCo uses Mercon V. That universal crap doesn't have the friction modifiers that are needed in Mercon V applications. and 2) you NEVER flush a transmission. Pan drop and fluid/filter change is all that should be done. That was definitely a flush because a pan drop and refill is about 7qts of fluid.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The way I see it is there are 2 HUGE faults..... 1) Any late FoMoCo uses Mercon V. That universal crap doesn't have the friction modifiers that are needed in Mercon V applications. and 2) you NEVER flush a transmission. Pan drop and fluid/filter change is all that should be done. That was definitely a flush because a pan drop and refill is about 7qts of fluid.
Yes - it was one of the largest F*** dealerships in Austin.

I feel like like shooting myself. I did the pan drop about 25k miles earlier. http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/310153-starting-over-07-taurus-maintenance-fluid-filter-etc.html#post3192105

Since I just passed 100k miles, I thought I would go for the full deal :angry:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So guys, what should I do now to get rid of the multi vehicle crap? Another flush - but any safer way to do it so that the tranny can survive another one? Thanks!

Edit: Digging with the part number of the fluid 112978 - it's mobil multi vehicle 55 gallon drum (bulk)

http://www.wnr.com/wholesale/search-lubricants-chemicals/mobil-multi-vehicle-atf

This seems to have Mercon V approval (from another link assuming it's the same garbage listed on the link above)

https://mobiloil.com/en/automatic-transmission-fluid/multi-vehicle-atf

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I added a total of 3.5 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V to get the fluid level back to the normal level. Car seems to be shifting fine now. I will file an official complaint against Maxwell Ford service department in Austin. I will also go after them if my transmission craps out soon. This is what you get for getting your transmission fluid changed at a dealership

1. Universal ATF instead of Motorcraft Mercon V as listed in the manual. Then you have to flush again to get that **** out.
2. Flush instead of pan drop and fliter change (they make more money by sucking the fluid using a pump - easier and faster and yet the wrong way to do it)
3. You pay for 14 quarts and yet you have to top it off by adding another 3.5 quarts
4. You drive out with a jerky transmission with low fluid on a summer day (~100F ) and may have picked up some damage to a perfectly fine tranny

I can't let these people get away after doing so many wrongs things.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How could the dealer say everything was ok but the dipstick is saying it needed multiple quarts.
Basically, they didn't bother to check when I went back. As you see in my previous post, it was short by a whopping 3.5 quarts even though I paid for 14 quarts (manual lists the capacity at 13.5). They overcharged me and a hired an idiot who couldn't measure the fluid level properly - twice!

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
A flush usually involves connecting to the cooling lines and having the transmission pump out all the old fluid while adding fluid. It could also mean to hook a machine on the trans and pressure flush the trans. The later is the one people have problems with because it can loosen up a lot of grit and cause issues.

Also the dealer most likely dials in the amount of fluid and it shuts off after it reaches that level.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I went ahead and did the pan drop as per your suggestion, refilled with about 8 qt. of MC Mercon 5 along with a new filter. I will do another one 4/5k miles later to get rid of more of the remaining MV ATF junk they put in (it's good in a sense that they didn't fill it up properly with that junk - lol). So I am constantly checking the transmission fluid temp. (using android app Torque) - it seems to stabilize around 200-205F in this hot summer here in Austin, TX. Is that a normal operating temp for transmission fluid? Thank you!

·
Registered
570 Posts
So guys, what should I do now to get rid of the multi vehicle crap? Another flush - but any safer way to do it so that the tranny can survive another one? Thanks!

Edit: Digging with the part number of the fluid 112978 - it's mobil multi vehicle 55 gallon drum (bulk)

Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF

This seems to have Mercon V approval (from another link assuming it's the same garbage listed on the link above)

https://mobiloil.com/en/automatic-transmission-fluid/multi-vehicle-atf
I really doubt that the Mobil ATF was the problem just because it's labelled "Multi Vehicle". It is a licensed Mercon V product so Ford themselves approve it. The multi vehicle label is there simply because it also meets the obsolete Dex / Merc specs and a couple of others. Other Mercon V's will also meet those specs.

If you had to put 3.5 quarts more fluid after the dealer did the flush, then that was the problem, not the fluid.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Spoken from personal experience with my old Freestar Cargo.... it most certainly does make a difference. Mom and pop shop did a trans service with Castrol Multi vehicle and it shifted like crap, along with the TC chatter into drive and lockup. Took it to Ford, had them flush that **** out, and add Mercon V, no problems with that trans for another 85K miles till I was laid off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A dealership didn't use the MERCON V ATF? Seems everything I've read emphasizes MERCON V for these transmissions. I'd been thinking of having ATF/filter change on my recently purchased Bull but checked yesterday and fluid is nice and pink, has a petroleum smell (not burned) and didn't see any junk in it. Looks like it may have been changed fairly recently to be that clean. (Didn't have any records so I had been afraid transmission maintenance could have been lacking). This makes me think the best thing for me is to buy the MERCON V and filter and find a mechanic that can do it for me. Hope that everything continues to run fine for you after this!

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
A dealership didn't use the MERCON V ATF? Seems everything I've read emphasizes MERCON V for these transmissions. I'd been thinking of having ATF/filter change on my recently purchased Bull but checked yesterday and fluid is nice and pink, has a petroleum smell (not burned) and didn't see any junk in it. Looks like it may have been changed fairly recently to be that clean. (Didn't have any records so I had been afraid transmission maintenance could have been lacking). This makes me think the best thing for me is to buy the MERCON V and filter and find a mechanic that can do it for me. Hope that everything continues to run fine for you after this!
Since fluid still looks good I would invest in a LiquiVac and suck the trans out via the dipstick. I only do pan drop/filters at the 100k intervals now myself.
This way you know you have a 50% fresh fill just like a pan drop with the correct fluid in there.
Once fluid discolors it's way past change time, idea is to keep good stuff in there. That's how I routinely get 200k + miles out of transmissions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
No - they used some MV ATF (that does have the M5 approval - but how could I trust a dealer who even didn't fill up right and charged me for the full amount?). Even if they did, my shifting is just not as crisp with that MV ATF. I did a pan drop, it improved but not 100%. Anyways, I wouldn't touch the transmission if the fluid looks good and shifting is fine. I got an 05 at 80K miles with 'very' hard 1-2 shift and it did 140K miles with just pan drop/filter change until the first gear finally crapped out (because of my fault - another long story). It still runs - just a PITA to get initial pickup w/o a working 1st gear :D As you could see from this thread, I was being pro-active with my 07.

When the time comes, just find an honest mechanic, bring MC filter & Mercon V (about 8 qt., also have him clean the magnet in the pan) - you should be fine. These cars also shift bad once the transmission fluid temp reaches 190F+ (you could check via OBD2 app like torque etc.) So go easy on the gas when the temp hits that range.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts