Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, heres the story..

I turned on my car tonight, and it had this awful vibration, my whole car shook in a pulsating manner, and also my battery idiot light was on...

by that point i was pulling onto the highway, i could smell smoke fairly heavily and i could see it in front of my headlights ..then my engine died, power steering quit (the ! warning light, and the engine warning light came on and a chime noise sounded) and i coasted to the shoulder... i put my emergency flashers on, and turned off my car.. i then tried turning it back on, it turned over, and started just fine.. no more warning lights, no more vibrations, whats wrong? help!??!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Probably scared the heck out of you, How far did you go after you started it again? and. did it over heat? Was your ALT. light on? Did your power steering return? Without knowing any of these answers.......I'd say you threw a belt.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After i started it again, i went miles... not a hiccup..

it didnt overheat, i looked at the temp gauge right away and it was on C..

The alt light wasnt on...well do you have a pic of what it looks like to be sure???

Power steering returned right away after i restarted my car...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would have sworn that you broke a belt. You Know, you could of just had a computor Hiccup. I'd have a code scan done at the dealer, you are still under warrenty right? A scan will tell what exactly happened. Get the scan codes if you don't trust the Tech. and I'll interpet them for you. If your under warr. let them eat it.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by padre@Aug 26 2004, 01:45 AM
I would have sworn that you broke a belt. You Know, you could of just had a computor Hiccup. I'd have a code scan done at the dealer, you are still under warrenty right? A scan will tell what exactly happened. Get the scan codes if you don't trust the Tech. and I'll interpet them for you. If your under warr. let them eat it.
yeah, i thought about the belt breaking..but it doesnt make sense for it to work perfectly fine if the belt tot he alt was broke or something? does it? ill have to make an apt tomorrow for the stealership.. its still under warranty

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank goodness for the warranties, I hate these cars with computers, give me my old American musle. I must see this code stuff 10 times a week, and folks always try to bypass the obvious, and start throwing parts at the problem. Just read the codes, and fix the problem

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you think i can drive it to the dealer w/out worrying?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well you drove around for awhile after the episode, right? And nothing else happened, Right? If you feel O.K. with it, and Ford is picking up the warrenty, Hell let it blow up. Whats the worst that can happen? And don't forget, you DEMAND a rental car under the warrenty if the repair is going to take awhile......REMEMBER!!! the squeaky wheel gets the oil..

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Sounds to me like something seized. I'd start with the A/C (expecially if you have EATC controls and not manual), and continue from there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You know, I was just thinking. Don't even worry about an appointment. Tomorrow is Wednesday, that's the deadest day in any service department. I'd just go and show. Up that is.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by padre@Aug 26 2004, 02:19 AM
Well you drove around for awhile after the episode, right? And nothing else happened, Right? If you feel O.K. with it, and Ford is picking up the warrenty, Hell let it blow up. Whats the worst that can happen? And don't forget, you DEMAND a rental car under the warrenty if the repair is going to take awhile......REMEMBER!!! the squeaky wheel gets the oil..
True, i suppose if it did blow up, it'd get fixed for free...and hopefully w/out too much of a headache!

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Racer X@Aug 26 2004, 02:20 AM
Sounds to me like something seized. I'd start with the A/C (expecially if you have EATC controls and not manual), and continue from there.
I have the manual controls..but i don't understand why the battery warning light would come on?

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by padre@Aug 26 2004, 02:26 AM
You know, I was just thinking. Don't even worry about an appointment. Tomorrow is Wednesday, that's the deadest day in any service department. I'd just go and show. Up that is.
Sounds like a plan, i'll fillyou guys in tomorrow, if they take my car in.. and i hope they'll give me a loaner while its in the shop...usually they tell me "we dont have any left for you"

BS they are usually sitting in back...ill see what i can do this time

Thanks for all of you guyses help :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The battery light would come on beacuse if the AC compressor seized, it would jar the belt, and would stop the alternator from running, which would stop it from charging the battery. When my automatic tenioner went on my old Topaz, it heard and felt a huge bang, and then all hell broke loose. My battery light turned on, I had no power steering, etc. Turns out that the belt that drives the pulleys had come off because of the tensioner breaking. Once the tensioner was fixed ($250 job), everything worked fine.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
heres the update..

They said that i could leave me car there, and later this afternoon they could look at it..

I said, well can i get a loaner??

They asked, "did you buy the car from us?"

me, "no"

them, "well then, we dont have anything for you"

So, i have an apt monday morning at 8am... he said just call them if it dies again WTF this isnt service.. its a big rip off

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by afi292@Aug 26 2004, 12:18 PM
heres the update..

They said that i could leave me car there, and later this afternoon they could look at it..

me, "no"

So, i have an apt monday morning at 8am... he said just call them if it dies again WTF this isnt service.. its a big rip off
That is :gay: I would have talked to someone about that.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 26 2004, 12:24 PM
Why dont' you take it to the dealership that sold you the car?

JR
Because im in michigan at school, i bought the car in my hometown in wisconsin...

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by n2_space+Aug 26 2004, 12:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (n2_space @ Aug 26 2004, 12:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-afi292@Aug 26 2004, 12:18 PM
heres the update..

me, "no"

That is :gay: I would have talked to someone about that. [/b][/quote]
Whats the best way to get the dealership in the most amount of trouble? lol

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by afi292+Aug 26 2004, 12:33 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (afi292 @ Aug 26 2004, 12:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2004, 12:19 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-afi292
@Aug 26 2004, 12:18 PM
heres the update..

me, "no"

That is :gay: I would have talked to someone about that.
Whats the best way to get the dealership in the most amount of trouble? lol [/b][/quote]
Call Ford and bitch about them is the best you can do.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts