Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I would at least try the burnishing procedure. Mine didn't work right until I did it. What do you have to loose?

Also, if the Firestone you're using are like any of the ones I used to work at here in the metroplex, I wouldn't be surprised if the "compressor changes" were nothing more than them plugging in a scan tool and looking for something else to blame and make money on. There's also no telling where they sourced the rebuit compressor(s) from.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks. Yeah i will try that tomorrow. What did ur ac do before u burnish it?

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
It would take several seconds to fully engage, slip under acceleration and slip when it was really hot outside.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Man that is exact thing that is happening to me. Ok i will get back to u when im done with the procedure! Lol thanks for help my friend!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
UPDATE:

So I did the burnishing procedure and it eliminated 85% of the slippage. Clutch spins flawlessly under moderate to heavy acceleration. After WOT there is slight slip, not even that, just a split second "psst" sound" (most likely clutch re engaging after WOT cut off) . I did about fast 60 cycles at 1.5k rpm. There is a slip when I'm in park at 3-4k rpm and i turn on a/c but its so hot outside + burnishing that the clutch is pretty much smoking hot. I'm gonna wait till it cool downs and see again.

madscientist, how many cycles did you do and did it stop slipping completely immediately or after a while?

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I held the engine a 3k and turned the A/C on then off every 5 seconds or so for about 5 minutes. The engine would drop down about 500 rpm when it engaged. After that it slipped very rarely and after a few days it didn't seem to slip at all beyond the half second slip when I first engage it.

I would still check the air-gap just to be on the safe side. If it's off make Firestone fix it. It's easy to slip a feeler gauge in there to check it. If it's too big that clutch isn't ever going to work right and won't last long.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Alright thanks! Seems to work perfect after cool off time. I turned the car on, did few more on/off cycles and proceed to drive. Everything is working fine now. No slipping at all. Although it's night and not as hot so we will see tomorrow for sure. And I will do additional burnish tomorrow. I have to buy you a beer!

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
No problem. Just make sure to give it a good cool down period after the burnishing. And be careful, I just may take you up on that beer ;)

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ac works flawlessly. I did burnishing again this morning, then let it cool and I just got back from a drive in 100F heat. No slip at all, I gunned it down a service road on to the highway and no slip at all, ice cold ac.

Man who knew such a simple thing could fix such a head ache. These morons from Firestone would most likely keep looking for the problem and would start replacing every damn part in the car .

Like you said they never replaced it because when it was cool it would not slip. The 2nd time I brought my car there it took them 2.5 days to "replace" it because they were waiting for the compressor as it was coming from Forth Worth. lol yea right.

As far as the beer goes, any time :lol2:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts