Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I'm gonna change out my rear plugs (sorry all you guys on the other post that I argued with...I'm gonna take your advice with SableSal's help and just do it -- damn the vacuum lines!) and since I'll have the UIM off, is there any way to clean it? Will cleaning it help?

info would be appreciated. Thanks guys and gals.

B

·
0 Posts
Get plenty of spray carburetor cleaner, and go to town. It'll be a filthy mess, but cleaning it will make a difference. Also, while you have the UIM off, clean off the lower intake and butterly plates. Make sure they're not binding.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Interseting you should mention cleaning manifilds.

I was watching Spike TV TRUCKS show the other evening and they were showing a before and after cleaning of the valves, UIM and other areas that was unbelievable. I have beent rying to research where I can get he equipment and how much it might cost.

Basically it is a small tube you stick into the air intake system that is connected to a canister powered by an air compressor and regulator, you run three cans of the cleaner (I think all differnet materials) through and the system is unbelieably clean, the valve stems, UIM, the works.

Is anyone familair with this sysmte, what it is called, where I could get it etc... I have the air compressor and could probably jury rig an induction sysme but need the cans of cleaner??

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I've never heard of it...try checking out the Trucks show's website. Shows like that typically have links on their websites to all their sponsors...same as they have the "Tech Corners" and "Product Information" parts of their shows.

JR

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
It sounds to me like it's a professional setup. Not something you do yourself.

-Jeff

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all right. spray carb cleaner. i'll do that.

what kind of difference does it make? acceleration? power? gas mileage? life of the engine? all of the above?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I clean mine with Non-contact cleaner by 3M. It's not so abrassive and it works just as good and it's safe on the throttle body. Buy about 3 cans and spray the hell out of it and wipe it out will the blue disposable shop towels.

While you are at it, you may want to get a OHM reader and test your ignition coil. If it's running less than 10ohms, you need to replace it. Also test your spark plug wires. When I replaced mine it was down to 3ohms. It was worn out. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go buy a Chilton Manual. Everything you need to know is pretty much in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts