Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced most of my front suspension, however I still hear and feel "a noise" when I hit certain types of bumps. I've had the car for a long time and this noise has always been there. Since pretty much everything else is new, I think it's a upper ball joint, but I couldn't find any videos which talk about them so I'm not sure. It's coming from the drivers side.

How should I test to see if the upper ball joint is bad?

How hard are they to replace?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that's good, because it was starting to sound expensive LOL :)

What else might be causing the noise?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did you install quick struts? I chased a clunk for a while on my 500, turned out to be a spacer/washer missing from top of the strut. Found it using a small cell phone, filming while driving. You could see the movement in relation to the clunking.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Did you replace subframe connector bushings? Common symptom when going over a bumb, like a speed bump or driveway curb, is a clunk noise from the floor. Typically it is the rears, the ones closest to your feet, but can also be the fronts.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just replaced most of my front suspension, however I still hear and feel "a noise" when I hit certain types of bumps. I've had the car for a long time and this noise has always been there. Since pretty much everything else is new, I think it's a upper ball joint, but I couldn't find any videos which talk about them so I'm not sure. It's coming from the drivers side.

Could you give us a quick rundown of what's been replaced so far? I suspect sway bar bushings or endlinks but if they've been replaced recently then that rules those out.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Could you give us a quick rundown of what's been replaced so far? I suspect sway bar bushings or endlinks but if they've been replaced recently then that rules those out.
Yes, would be nice to know all the components that you replaced. The stabilizer links are usually the culprit. That is the cheapest and easiest part to replace, and therefore, the first place you should be looking for the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
Skyjack349
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing