Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking off my upper and lower intakes this weekend to clean and to get to rear plugs (duratec). I know the Haynes manual states that the HEAD bolts have to be replaced when the heads are removed, but does that go for the intakes as well?

·
Registered
712 Posts
No. Head bolts get stretched when you torque them. The don't stretch the same next time around. Therefore you change them anytime you remove them (even if they were only tightened down for 1 minute). Intake bolts don't get stretched like that.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
i WOULD reccomend replacing them. THey are weak and prone to breakage. (i know from experence). You dont need to, but be careful of how hard yyou torque tem so they dont break! (use a small handle 1/4 drive ratchet so you have more of a "feel" for the bolt)

Brad

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I have to disagree with Brad. I don't recommend replacing them unless they are damaged or lost. They do not require much torque and are not under much stress (like head bolts, main bolts, or rod bolts... all of whiich should be replaced on a rebuild)

Use a torgue to install them. Overtightening them may damage the threads on the aluminum heads and manifolds, and tighten them in the sequence listed in the Haynes manual. Otherwise you may warp the LIM or prevent a good seal between the manifolds and the heads.

And BTW - although the Haynes manual uses a 2.5L Duratec for pictures, the torque sequence is the same as the 3.0L, as the bolt locations are the same, but the manifolds are different.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
So how much should one tighten them? Last time i just did it with in reason. But since then i have gotten a new Torque wrench and will be taking it off again in the next month or two and will have a torque wrench this time to tighten them down with correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by hightecredneck@Jul 9 2004, 09:28 AM
So how much should one tighten them? Last time i just did it with in reason. But since then i have gotten a new Torque wrench and will be taking it off again in the next month or two and will have a torque wrench this time to tighten them down with correctly.
Haynes says 71-106 in-lbs.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk+Jul 9 2004, 09:41 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mikehawk @ Jul 9 2004, 09:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hightecredneck@Jul 9 2004, 09:28 AM
Haynes says 71-106 in-lbs. [/b][/quote]
I must have missed that somewhere. I check there before asking and only saw the specs for the LIM bolts (71-106 in-lbs. as you suggested) but not the UIM or plenum bolts.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by hightecredneck+Jul 9 2004, 09:54 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hightecredneck @ Jul 9 2004, 09:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2004, 09:41 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-hightecredneck
@Jul 9 2004, 09:28 AM

Haynes says 71-106 in-lbs.
I must have missed that somewhere. I check there before asking and only saw the specs for the LIM bolts (71-106 in-lbs. as you suggested) but not the UIM or plenum bolts. [/b][/quote]
It's on the top of page 2B-3, under upper intake manifold bolts. The pic showing the tightening sequence is on 2B-6 in the bottom left hand corner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts