Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have a 2006 Taurus SEL that I had to retire recently due to engine failure caused by my stupidity (that's another story). To ease the pain of separation (and to avoid getting rid of hundreds of dollars worth of spare parts and tow hitch) I purchased another '06 Taurus at a decent price but it is an SE model. In finding that the SE is minus many of the features I liked about the SEL, my thoughts turned to transferring what I could off of its predecessor to upgrade as much as I could without rewiring the whole car. My basic question would be, how much wiring do the two models share? My initial target is the rear-view mirror which is auto-dimming in the SEL and just a manual flip tab in the SE. I see two small wire harnesses and I'm guessing that one may have to do with the directional compass display in the instrument panel of the SEL. I'm not holding out a lot of hope for the compass direction in the vacuum florescent display of the SE unless connecting the external hardware causes it to magically appear.

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
IIRC, there is some wiring in the passenger side A pillar where you can hook up the mirror. All I remember is the black wire is the ground. It's been a long time ago....

The compass won't show on the SE flor display.

Heated mirrors might be plug and play.

CD changer in the trunk would switch over no problem.

If you had the mach system in your SEL, the amp will be plug and play but the mach tweeters will have to wired in to the lower door speakers.

I have an extra mach amp if you need one. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I had a feeling there was more to the compass than I thought, although I could switch instrument panels if that makes the difference provided that doesn't impact the odometer. I had forgotten about the heated mirrors, that would be nice to have. I'll swap the rv mirror out and at least have the dimming feature at the very least.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The mileage is on the speedo cluster, so if you want to swap for the compass, you would loose the accurate miles.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You can check my old build thread, I did a lot of conversions on my old SE. Compass isnt simple due to how its wired and integrated into the SJB so I wouldnt bother with that. Auto dim rear view is mostly easy. I recommend getting the mirror harness with the plugs to make it easier. The mirror is just power and ground with a third pink wire for reverse lockout. I didnt bother with that since the nearest tap point is under the passenger seat. There is a grey plug under the passenger side a pillar trim piece for the dome light and sunroof if equipped but its always present. You tap into the green and black wires there iirc.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In my '06 SE, there was already an unused black 8-wire female plug in the passenger A-pillar, I just had to add the wire that went up from that and tucked up in the headliner (you'll need to remove the visors to do that, might as well add lighted ones and homeland sense they shar the same harness)

You can check my old build thread, I did a lot of conversions on my old SE. Compass isnt simple due to how its wired and integrated into the SJB so I wouldnt bother with that.
Have you done this? Where can I find that thread?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
In my '06 SE, there was already an unused black 8-wire female plug in the passenger A-pillar, I just had to add the wire that went up from that and tucked up in the headliner (you'll need to remove the visors to do that, might as well add lighted ones and homeland sense they shar the same harness)

Have you done this? Where can I find that thread?

https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/134-taurus-sable-project-log/288914-ice445-s-2006-se-ann.html

And no, I didn't add compass because it's a huge waste of time, at least in my opinion. You're talking about running a wire from the compass module all the way to the SJB, and then through to the cluster (which needs to support compass, the base one in an SE will not no matter what you do). If you just pull a mirror from an 02-03 car, the compass display is on the mirror itself and as long as it's powered (along with the box) it will just work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts