Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today when driving around a gym parking lot I noticed unusual vibrations through the steering wheel. I stopped and let the engine idle. It stays at around 800rpm a few seconds then slowly goes down to 500rpm. At that point I notice the vibrations and RPM jumps back to 800. I went into the gym and then came back later but couldn't reproduce this issue again. This hasn't happened ever before. Is this something serious? I am worried because I need to go on a 200 mile trip soon this weekend.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Vacuum leak?

My '03 Vulcan recently developed nearly identical symptoms. Looking around under the hood, I found a crack in the "crankcase vent hose and connector", Motorcraft part number 6C324. This is the air line that connects the PCV valve to the air intake. I realize this may be Vulcan-specific information, and I see you're driving a Duratec, but you may find that your problem is vacuum-related. I wish I could help with your question about how this might affect your trip this weekend; in my case, I wouldn't have hit the road but then my idle was really erratic.

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Yup, sounds like a vac leak. Tecs suffer from rotted / cracked PCV hoses just like Vulcans do.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Motorcraft parts catalog

Sure! Start here:

Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com

Enter your VIN, then click "search catalog".

Category will be Emissions Control
Sub-Category "Crankcase Ventilation System"

I then found the part I needed for my Vulcan on the next screen that comes up. As mentioned previously, I bought part 6C324, found on that last screen. One of the Duratec guys might be able to help you zero in on the part you might need for your 'Tec. You asked what the part looks like, note that the Motorcraft page shows parts diagrams, which you can use to get an image of what your Tec's PCV assembly looks like. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts