Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I drive a gen 2 and I wanted to experiment with Painting my Tailights. This was about 5 days ago. And I had It looking like an Old school Impala. But the more that I thought about it, I didnt like it. So went and bought som nail polish remover which in theory I thought would get it off. No it smeared it like hell. So I figured I had to break out the big guns and went and bought a spray on can of acetone. And it WAS taking it off but still alot left. Then I read the directions (ya I know) and said to leave it there for a few mins with the acetone on and then srcape it off. I got more paint off but I also got tailight red melted plasic. And Im screwed currently. I have to either buy a new pair or sand them to hell with a power sander which is looking preety good right now. But I basicly have to sand them because I have to get my license sticker update thing tomarow. And I have to drive the car there without my license because my dad wont take it. Dont Ask i have a unusual family. Anyone have any ideas. Im gonna start sanding in a few minutues just to see wat i will do. THanx Lata

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm Sixteen views and no replys not even a wow your f***ed in a hole comment. Im suprised

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just go to a junk yard and pick up a pair there, shouldn't cost you much.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nail polish remover contains acetone cut with a little oil to make it easier on the skin. Acetone and plastic are mortal enemies. Acetone will dissolve most non-thermosetting plastics. You are correct that you're screwed. Buy a replacement pair of tail lights. Sanding them will probably just gum up your sandpaper with goo. Spend your time more productively at a JY finding a pair of decent taillights.

G

·
If you haven't fixed the problem yet, let me know. I have a pair of tails off a 93 that are in perfect condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts