Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the way home from Fort Story(hooah) 3 weeks ago, and while I was on Interstate-264 the engine started to rumble and shake ALOT, and ALOT of blue tinted smoke came out of the exhaust. So I pulled onto the nearest exit, THANK GOD there was a Walmart. Made just in time to a parking spot, and I add I was going 10mph in a 45mph zone with my RPM's at 3-4k. Made it to the parking spot and shut down right there...(lucky huh)?

So.... I add.... WTF.....

I just made a video of the problem.. Has been sitting in driveway for 3 weeks now... Been driving my new Civic... But I want my very nice Taurus to work again... Screw garages, every time I take a car there, there seems to be more problems when I pick it up then when I dropped it off.

Also it has 1/4 tank of gas and oil and a oil leak... shown in pictures.... But what I dont understand is.... the cardboard is SOAKED with oil... but the dip stick says full.....

Video of what happens (
)

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey -

OK, can I ask a few questions? I'm a bit confused about a couple of things you day.....

First the oil leak. Do you mean that it's leaking oil all the time, or just when it's running?

If it's only leaking when it runs, do you have ANY idea of where it's coming from? When the engine's running with the problem, does the oil pressure light come one?

Have you checked the oil and water for any signs of the two mixing?
Any overheating?

B

·
Banned
323 Posts
If that was a OHV engine, I'd guess a push rod...but, of course, the Duratec don't have 'em....maybe a valve stem bent or a rocker arm went wonky???? Just a guess.....

As to the oil leak...have you checked your p/s fluid or transmission fluid??

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Man, don't ever videotape anything again. I almost fell out of my computer chair.

You need some more evidence before anyone can even guess at a problem. All we know is it leaks something and runs badly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it leaks oil all the time, but yet even when there is no oil at all, the light doesnt even come on. And the spot that it leaks is... welll.... a little bit behind the engine... just to give a thought of location....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey -

OK, can I ask a few questions? I'm a bit confused about a couple of things you day.....

First the oil leak. Do you mean that it's leaking oil all the time, or just when it's running?

If it's only leaking when it runs, do you have ANY idea of where it's coming from? When the engine's running with the problem, does the oil pressure light come one?

Have you checked the oil and water for any signs of the two mixing?
Any overheating?

B

No overheating, no mixing, all the time it leaks, and it leaks right where i took the picture.... right in the front of the car under the engine

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
That first picture of the soaked cardboard sure looks like transmission fluid to me. have you checked the Trans fluid level?

·
Banned
323 Posts
If the oil level on the dip stick isn't changing, then logic dictates that an oil type leak would be either the power steering or the transmission..or related components. Have you checked those two items as I asked earlier?????????

·
Banned
323 Posts
The fluid on the cardboard looks pink....that would be fluid from either the power steering or transmission. Oil is not pink.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
sounds like a dead cylinder. check for spark on every wire then the plugs. while you got the plugs out change them. as far as checking your fluids you have to wipe the fluid off the dip stick then stick it back in to get a good reading. ( some dont know ) if you have spark in every cylinder i would look at the timing belt next. worst case might have to do the whole topend at the min.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
You checked the trans with the engine running right?

·
Registered
115 Posts
And operating temperature, which will be hard now.

btw. you went 4k rpm at 10mph? That indicates a transmission problem. If that is really true, you have a transmission problem. However I cannot explain why your engine is running that bad. See if you can trace where the oil is coming from.

Furthermore, take those sparkplugs out and see what color and condition they are.

·
Registered
200 Posts
And operating temperature, which will be hard now.

btw. you went 4k rpm at 10mph? That indicates a transmission problem. If that is really true, you have a transmission problem. However I cannot explain why your engine is running that bad. See if you can trace where the oil is coming from.

Furthermore, take those sparkplugs out and see what color and condition they are.

+1 on transmission.
Check the transmission oil pan seal to see if it is wet.

I had one go bad on a 96 Sable with no warning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes, I wiped the sticks. (im not that dumb =P) But yes i also checked it before when it was hot and im getting the same reading as before on my fluids.... But whats weird is that that trans was replaced less than 2 years ago.... with a brand new trans.... I was planning on replacing the spark plugs any way due to my dad never did it since he got it in '99.. also was going to replace the gaskets, But IDK how to do this on this type of engine.

I had my friend check the front 3 before, and come to find out I was running lean for a little while. And the front three were white and black and kinda bent off center.... But like I said... IDK how to check the back three due to you have to remove something to get to them, and I doubt I have the tools to do it

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Visually is the best. But try this. On a hot engine when idling take off the oil filler cap. Then put your palm over the opening. You should feel a vacuum develop. If so it is working. If you feel pressure building it is bad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts