Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Taurus 3.0l ohv. I am having issues sometimes when starting. Sometimes it starts just fine. Other times it turns over, but doesn't crank. Then on the second try it starts just fine. And yet other times I try it multiple times and it doesn't want to crank.

Also, my A/C doesn't work. The heat blows only on high. But that isn't what I'm asking about. Since my A/C didn't work I roll down the windows, but sometimes the windows don't want to roll down. Sometimes I have to turn the cart off and crank it again several times before I can get then to roll down.

There is more, but for now I'll leave it at those please help.

·
Administrator
14,913 Posts
To most of us a car can't 'turn over' without cranking. Do you mean it cranks but doesn't fire? Sounds as though you may have a battery with an internal short. Has it been thoroughly tested?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Okay, first thing we need to clarify is your description of the car sometimes turning over but not cranking. Those two terms are used to describe the same thing. In other words, an engine that is turning over is cranking. I'm assuming what you are describing is an intermittent crank-no start issue? Some things that could cause this is a partially plugged fuel filter, a weak fuel pump or a faulty crank position sensor (or, it's wiring connector). It would also be helpful to know if this happens with a cold engine, hot engine re-start or under both conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I mean cranks without firing. And I think it might be the fuel pump because I get better gas mileage if I keep the car below a half tank. If it's above that I lose fuel too fast. Could bad spark plugs, wires, or ignition coils cause this issue?

And when I have this problem it varies. Sometimes when it is comes or starts right up, other times is one of the other things I described. It doesn't do it all the time. The same thing with the windows. What about a bad fuse or relay?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Jeremy55439
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing