Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the process for taking care of undercarriage (surface mostly) rust, the same as quarter panels, etc? Sanding to bare metal, fill with body filler or glazing putty, prime and paint?

I want to use the undercarriage black stuff, but have never done it. Do I just sand, fill, prime and "black stuff" the underside? Or do I do something different. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I have never tried it that way. I know if the black stuff gets a crack in it water will get behind it. I have been debating of using rhino spray liner for truck beds because it isnt supposed to crack or chip.
worse case is after winter you look under and see a little rust starting and have to redo it. a rock coming off the tire can crack or chip the clear coat and allow water to get to the metal. so i dont know if clearing will offer more protection when it comes to the under side.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe an "under bra" (clear bra) over basecoat might be the best solution if it adheres well to the undercarriage stuff. Flexibility of the clear bra and resistance of the undercarriage coating.

·
Super Moderator
7,881 Posts
Just wire brush the loose rust off (do not go to clean metal) and paint it with a few coats of POR15. Problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
7,881 Posts
POR15 doesnt seem to stick to clean metal anywhere near as good as it sticks to rust. It seals oxygen from getting to the rust, so the rust wont get worse. I have been using POR15 for over 15 years on lots of projects, and it works as advertized. Check their web site for more details. Only down side it its expensive.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
You are correct, it doesnt want to stick to clean metal very well.I have seen it used and the following year the bubbles have formed. this has been my experience with it. This is why i sand,fill,prime,paint, then clear. It might be a little over the top but I had a car (unibody) rust out and the trans/engine was still good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts