Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a rattle and looked underneath the car and saw some rectangular cover hanging. It's right behind the front tires, about halfway between the two front tires. My vehicle is a 1996 Taurus GL Vulcan V6. Anyone have an undercarriage diagram they can link?

·
Banned
323 Posts
If it's a metal cover, more than likely it's the heat shield for the catalytic converter. If that's the case, you can get what looks like a giant radiator hose clamp at any auto parts store that goes around the converter and holds the heat shield together, and stops any rattling.

·
Super Moderator
8,766 Posts
^^^^ +1!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to my dealer last night and asked them (I'm friends with some of the mechanics there). They confirmed it was the heat shield around the exhaust, the front brackets had rusted and broke, probably I ran over a branch or something. My friend just took a couple self-tappers and screwed it back in. When they asked the service guy if they had the part, he said they don't make it anymore, that it's obsolete. I told him I beg to differ, I would argue it's not obsolete. Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts