Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering, does anybody know the use for the two hooks under the bumper on a Gen4, they might be on Gen3 as well. They are large metal pieces that hang under the bumper on either side and on my Taurus, have rusted over.

Can these be safely removed, I would like to do so to improve appearance with the new exhaust I'm installing.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
They are factory tie downs. You *can* remove them if you wish (I had to to fit my hitch on), but I'd suggest not to if you don't have to. If you ever need your car towed or pulled out of something, those are good latch points.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
i have them on my gen 3 and they came in handy couple of times last winter. From what ive seen theres just one bolt on each holding it to the frame. easy enough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, I removed them they were a real PITA to get out though with just a socket wrench, mine were pretty well rusted in. Hopefully I dont have to worry about being towed out of snow down here in Florida but you're right, I'll be screwed if I ever do get stuck :)

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Well the one time that was a pain for me was when my fuel pump went out and I needed to be pulled on to the tow truck backwards. He had to go hunt for a good tow point way up by the rear wheels somewhere I think. If I had the factory tow hooks, it would have made it easier.

-Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts