Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2003 ford taurus underside mirror puddle lights stays on and takes a while to turn off. i sprayed the lock mechanisms on all the doors and made sure all of them are closed properly the light still takes a long time to turn off. How do i fix that problem need help plz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh sorry bout that i did that but they still stays on a very long time before they cut off.how can i disconnect them or would they go off if i pull the fuse for the mirrors out

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
You may have a bad dash ground. This is just one of many possible causes. Pull up that long piece of plastic trim that covers your passenger side door sill and kick panel.

A dash ground behind the kick panel should be uncovered now. When this particular ground is disconnected or compromised your car will still start but your puddle lamps will remain on after all doors are closed, engine off and after you have clicked door lock twice on your Fob. That was my personal experience with an unplugged passenger side dash ground after a dash swap in 2013.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Whats "A very long time"? Are we talking 30 seconds? A minute? 5 minutes? An hour?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
It depends on how long they're staying on to determine if it's a problem. Mine stay on for a little while, but they turn off along with the interior lights. There's a battery saver function that won't allow them to stay on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is it ok to rebirth this thread? I'm unclear on when it's ok and when it isn't. But I found a solution to this problem.

I was tinkering with my '03 Taurus wagon today and about 2 hours after I quit I went into the garage and saw the side mirror lights were still on! I could not get them to turn off, and yes I realize they are supposed to stay on for 30 seconds after opening the door or clicking the remote or whatnot.

I finally remembered that I had turned the panel dimmer control (next to headlight switch) all the way up earlier in the day. So I turned it down (just past its notch) and that fixed the problem, the mirror lights went off. I see nothing in the manual about that dimmer controlling the mirror lights and it seems like a very poor design that you could inadvertently turn them permanently on and risk killing the battery.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Is it ok to rebirth this thread? I'm unclear on when it's ok and when it isn't. But I found a solution to this problem.

I was tinkering with my '03 Taurus wagon today and about 2 hours after I quit I went into the garage and saw the side mirror lights were still on! I could not get them to turn off, and yes I realize they are supposed to stay on for 30 seconds after opening the door or clicking the remote or whatnot.

I finally remembered that I had turned the panel dimmer control (next to headlight switch) all the way up earlier in the day. So I turned it down (just past its notch) and that fixed the problem, the mirror lights went off. I see nothing in the manual about that dimmer controlling the mirror lights and it seems like a very poor design that you could inadvertently turn them permanently on and risk killing the battery.
I think that happens because the puddle lamps are tied into the dome light so if the dome light activates it activates the puddle lamps. That's how I have mine wired up anyway

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks!! I messed with the wires in the door jam. Had two broken ones. One was the buzz for door ajar. The other seemed to be for the puddle lights but they still wouldn't turn off. It was the dimmer switch. I'd messed with it too! Saved me a garage bill!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts