Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever removed the fuse box underhood right up front? I'd like to replace mine (broken box from accident, and won't secure properly to the car) and I'm curious if the wires coming out of it on the bottom are plugs, soldered, or some other type of connection.

I'm hoping that group of wires is just a harness with a plug I can put right back onto a new (junkyard) fuse box, but I haven't gotten into the box yet to find out.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
No there is not a plug under there. Each wire is terminated in the fuse block individually.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, would you imagine this to be a do-able swap? Is it hard to get the wires out? Think I can transfer each wire over to the new box one at a time?

The alternative is to get a fuse box with the harness, then replace the whole harness...however big of a job that might be.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
My guess is that it would be like most connectors. each terminal might have a tab that expands and locks against a ledge in the fuse box. Push the terminal from the wire end, press the tab down with a small screwdriver, then pull the wire out.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If it were me I would consider a used one with about 2' of the wire hanging out. Use some uninsulated butt crimp connectors and some heat shrink insulation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a used box from an '03 Taurus DOHC at a local junk yard for $75. I'll have to go over there Saturday and see what state the thing is in, with wires or not, etc.

I guess I also need to take a peek under mine (gotta cut the tie straps!) and see what's there.

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the old cracked and open fuse box replaced with one off an '03 Taurus DOHC.

sfhess, you were right about the wiring, and the process to transfer the wires over the new box. Not really a problem, just a bit tedious. Half the box is made up of three modules (mostly for relays) that actaully slide out of the main box, so those were a bit easier to transfer.

Also found an airbox on that donor vehicle, and replaced mine (also cracked in wreck) with that one.

I'll PM you guys some pics of the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts