Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Taurus SE- 141,xxx miles.
I am unable to shift from PARK to DRIVE after starting. There is the very rare occasional chance that it will go into gear.
Am trying to decide if this is something I want to look into myself... hopefully advice here can point me to a simple fix.

Not sure if this description will make sense, but sometimes it will go in if I "slap-tap" the gear shifter. It is sort of like something gets kicked into place with this method.

Anyone experience this and comments?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that lead... watched this video:
Ford Taurus Won't Come Out of Park

It seems as if the connections at the brake light switch are compromised just like the video shows.
I was able to jiggle them and yes, the brake lights came on and I was able to easily shift from PARK to DRIVE.
I feel I have a good diagnosis and will get after this to fix it when I get a chance.

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Seems like you may have received your answer. But never-the-less, I've had that symptom many times, at first causing much concern, thinking I was stuck. I get out of the rut by placing my foot on the break and applying a strong left or right "tugg" to the steering wheel. It seems to get caught up in some kind of temporary "kink", especially when I have parked the car without straightening my wheel first. . It always eventually releases when I am "tugging". I have wondered what would happen to someone who didn't stubbornly try random tuggs and pulls (stuck at a mall or something and having to call a tow truck for nothing) Hope that didn't happen. Good luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom,
I think I know what you are describing when the front wheel get bound-up in a turned position... this is not the case. I first thought this was the issue, but it was happening in my driveway with both tires straight. The interlock that prevent the shift level from moving was definitely still engaged.

I have not had a chance to fix yet... using the 2010 to get around as well as the truck for the home building center runs on weekends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts