Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I put gas in at more than about 4 gallons a minute, the auto shutoff always trips.

According to the Ford cd, I should test the EVAP system with the tester, which I don't have.

Is there a manual way to test it?

Not really a serious issue, just annoying as hell.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
If I put gas in at more than about 4 gallons a minute, the auto shutoff always trips.

According to the Ford cd, I should test the EVAP system with the tester, which I don't have.

[/b]
I had this problem too with mine and I just lifted the back of the pump up while the gas was going and that would keep it from tripping prematurely.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had this problem too with mine and I just lifted the back of the pump up while the gas was going and that would keep it from tripping prematurely.
[/b]
Thats what I do to be able to get gas in at all

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

[/b]
Slow it down a bit. It happens to me on a hot day whenever its close to 3/4's and I'm using the "good pump"

Thats all the advice I can give.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I have to hold the nozzle upside-down on the Buick or else it will spit fuel at me. Maybe try that?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Doesn't help
[/b]
Hmm, So I assume you're refueling through a gas can for the time being?

I'll keep looking. I've never heard of this problem before. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I just have to barely squeeze the trigger on the nozzle so it basically drips in. Takes 9-10 minutes to refuel from low fuel. In ice storms, that really blows.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do you use any type of fuel additive?....

I bought my Taurus used and had that problem for a while...it took about 15 mins (or at least it seemed) to fuel it up.

Well ond day I finally got fed up with it and took the filler neck off of the car to check for any blocked hoses and such.

Come to find out that the little foil piece that you peel off the top of the additive bottle was stuck at the bottom of the filler neck on the anti siphon screen and since it filled up more three quarters of the filler hose it allowed gas thru but at a very slow rate.
I popped the screen out and removed that foil piece and have had no troubles since.

I'm not saying that is your problem, but it was definitly mine and may be worth looking at.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll have to yank the neck out sometime. Not sure I'll get it done tomorrow by 6pm though.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Do you use any type of fuel additive?....

I bought my Taurus used and had that problem for a while...it took about 15 mins (or at least it seemed) to fuel it up.

Well ond day I finally got fed up with it and took the filler neck off of the car to check for any blocked hoses and such.

Come to find out that the little foil piece that you peel off the top of the additive bottle was stuck at the bottom of the filler neck on the anti siphon screen and since it filled up more three quarters of the filler hose it allowed gas thru but at a very slow rate.
I popped the screen out and removed that foil piece and have had no troubles since.

I'm not saying that is your problem, but it was definitly mine and may be worth looking at.
[/b]

I've seen that many times at work. People put in fuel additives and the little piece of foil plugs the filler neck.

To test your EVAP system, you'll need the proper Ford scan tool. I use on at work so help find the same problems. The EVAP system is suppose to open a valve when the car is off, so that way when re-fueling air can escape the tank. If air is not allowed to escape then you will have the problem you are having. The fuel gets stuck in the filler neck because air is trying to escape out the same hose. With the scan tool you can open and close the vent manually and find out if it's working.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts