Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Unable to fill gas in 2008 Taurus

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Jiyu Shugi 
#1 ·
Recently, I went to the gas station and I was unable to add gas. The pump would shut off and I would be there for 20 minutes to get 5 gallons. In looking around the web, some say that the Vapor Canister Purge Valve is stuck open and other are saying there is a clog of small pellets in some hose causing the restriction.

Anyone have diagrams as to where the cannister and Purge Valve are located? Or if there are any troubleshooting I should do. I did have check engine light come on. I think the code was P040??? Catalytic something.

Thanks for the help!

#4 ·
Fueling is pure mechanical. There is a "fuel in pipe" to the tank, and a vapor vent back to the top of the filler. There is a piston valve at the bottom of the fuel inlet at the tank that is there to prevent fuel from leaking out if the car is turned over. Pic of one at the JY taken from a tank. The piston is held closed with an ultra light spring that should let fuel in from gravity. Maybe this is stuck shut. Also, this thing keeps one from sucking fuel out of the tank. Like theft.
-chart-

Attachments

#5 ·
Fueling is pure mechanical. There is a "fuel in pipe" to the tank, and a vapor vent back to the top of the filler. There is a piston valve at the bottom of the fuel inlet at the tank that is there to prevent fuel from leaking out if the car is turned over. Pic of one at the JY taken from a tank. The piston is held closed with an ultra light spring that should let fuel in from gravity. Maybe this is stuck shut. Also, this thing keeps one from sucking fuel out of the tank. Like theft.
-chart-
Thanks for the info. Is the piston in the engine compartment or the by tank? I was not sure if this was specific to my 2008 Taurus or Ford's in general. Also, my OBD code is P0430 if that helps.

#7 ·
OK - more clues. The cannister is OK and the Solenoid works fine. Question I have is...could the issue be that the silver flapper on the filler tube broke off and now it is wedged in the pipe somehwere? Currently, the gas cap shows an open hole with no silver flapper (like on most cars). Just a thought... I am hoping that someone with a 2008 Taurus can check and send a picture or verify that the fill cap does have this flapper valve.

#8 ·
Have had that issue three times now with three separate cars (including this 05 taurus) tried all the things you have. Upon removing the filler neck and looking inside, a small foil tab the size of a dime from some gas additive crap had made itself at home against the siphon screen and it was 100% causing the problem your having. So remove your filler and check it out.

#11 ·
Update: I think the issue maybe in the sender arm of the gas gauge in the tank. Apparently my daughter says it has always been like this (argh!!!). She would fill up and the gas gauge would only show half full. It would stay there until the gas was below half a tank. I am guessing that this sender arm gets stuck on something at the half way point??

Any help / advice would helpful on how to avoid dropping the gas tank and removing this sender mechanis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.