Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It does not look that difficult to remove the UIM to change the plugs on my 2004 Sable. Replacing the UIM gasket is recommended. Is removing the old gasket difficult in terms of removing the old resude? Do I have to scrape for hours for the mating surfaces to be clean? What is the best way to remove the plastic retaining pins on the accelerator splash shield? I am also investing in a torque wrench to do the job right.

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
Shouldnt be any residue to remove. I wouldnt replace the gasket(s) unless it appears damaged or youve been experiencing issues with it. Just pry the pins out with a screwdriver. If they have the center square pin, pry it up first, then pry the broad base out. No need for a torque wrench for the plugs or uim. Just check haynes or chiltons for the uim loosening/tightening sequences.

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
Is this on a tec or vulcan??? If a vulcan, no need to remove anything except maybe the pass. side windshield cowl if it makes access more comfortable for you.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I pulled the UIM the first time I changed the plugs in my Durtec. This process took a couple of hours and I snapped a clip on the injectors.

The second time, I pulled the windshield wiper cowel. This took about 30 - 45 minutes. Very easy...highly recommended!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a duratec engine. It does not look that hard to remove the UIM. I am afraid to touch to cowl because last time I removed the cowl water leaked all over the floor and had to take the car to the dealer. Took them two times to fix it right. Looking at the above post...is it real easy to snap an injector clip when removing the UIM?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
the gaskets are rubber "O-ring" style gaskets and just set in grooves. The smallest flat screw driver in the Craftsman kit will get them out.

FYI: the fuel rail can stay attached to the LIM on the 2000+ tecs. The bolts that hold the fuel rail to the LIM do not hold the LIM to the block. Remove the bolts that hold the LIM to the block and you can pivot the LIM up enough to change the gaskets.

If you are pulling the motor that far down the PCV is around $10.

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
Use 1/4 in. dr. ratchet, exts. and sockets for the uim and 3/8 in. dr. ratchet, exts. and 5/8 in. spark plug socket for the plugs and youll be fine. Harbor freight tools sells a long (5-6 in.) spark plug socket for about $5 which is nice for the tecs, but not mandatory. After gapping plugs, remember to apply a dab of never-seize to the threads prior installing. Also apply some dielectric grease inside plug boots. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
on A 2004-5 DOHC, you really do have to take off the UIM because it sits back further than the 96-03 UIM for the DOHC. Even removing the cowling doesn't help on an 04-5.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts