Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I had to stop my work on getting the sho bumper because I noticed that my car was smoking from underneath. I figured it was an oil leak hitting one of the exhaust pipes. Anyways, can you guys tell me what you think of these images?

This picture is of the oil pan i believe, would this leak be caused from a bad gasket?
[attachmentid=28443]

As you can see here, the exhaust pipe is being slammed by oil, which is causing the smoking. If you see above that, you can see some bolts, those seem to be leaking.
[attachmentid=28442]

This is a closer look at the bolts, they seem to be leaking pretty bad.
[attachmentid=28444]

I have another post coming here, this post just won't let me upload anymore pictures.

Ok, now we have two pictures of the transmission pan, do you think that I will need a new tranny gasket? I checked my ATF and it seems to have a bit more than over FULL. Does this tranny spill out any excess ATF?

Tranny Pan 1
[attachmentid=28445]

Tranny Pan 2
[attachmentid=28446]

Okay now, I have this picture of this hose and it looks like it is the thermostat housing, is this correct? Is the thermostat located near the radiator, towards the bottom of it?
[attachmentid=28447]

Thank you guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yes, yes, and yes, your bull is spilling like Exxon, time to replace those gaskets, and may as well pick up a new transmission filter kit with the rubber gasket., but it looks like your tranny is also leaking from above, too, but it's so dirty down there in the bio-hazard it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
It looks like they already put a fel-pro on it. I'd drop the pan, change the fluid and filter and put another newer version felpro on it. To keep it from leaking in the future, put RTV Red around the edges of the pan and the trans mount (where the pan mounts) WITHOUT GETTING IT IN THE TRANS!!!! And wait 24 Hours before you fill it with fluid. Torque down the bolts wrist tight and wait 1 hour (after you finish mounting the pan.) then come back and torque it down all the way. The next day fill it with fluid, and run the engine to normal operating tempurature. Shut it off, and torque down the bolts again. And your done. It shouldn't leak anymore.

Even if you don't put RTV on it, Heat up the engine and torque the bolts down. The heat makes the Bolt holes expand, loosening the bolts and causing a leak. Its important to torque down after a heat up for any pan gasket.

·
Registered
512 Posts
yours looks much cleaner then mine. at least mine don't drip on the ground yet. i'll be doing mine when i get taxes cause i need tools that i don't have yet to get off the stubborn y-pine. i love having to do jobs that i don't have tools for cause thats the only way the wife lets me buy new tools :banana:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright guys, thank so much for your help. So just to clarify....

Does the transmission spill out any excess ATF? Should I worry about replacing the gasket?

Thank you again!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Man, I NEVER use RTV on a trans gasket. The rubber Fel-Pro gaskets have alternating "smaller' holes. You set the gasket on the mating surface and thread a few bolts into the gasket and hang the pan using the bolts to retain the pan to the trans.

As for the oil leaks, it could be the pan, could be the cam seals, could be both the front and rear main seals(leak from the rear). You won't know till you at least pull the inspection covers off.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
When using cork gaskets, I've used a tiny bit of rubber cement or superglue in between the pan and the gasket, just to keep the gasket from moving around while mating it with the transmission.

The transmission does have an overfill check valve that will puke fluid when it's either overfilled or overheated, but I doubt that's what is causing the issue. It definitely looks to me like a leaking pan gasket.

Don't buy an aftermarket rubber gasket. I've had nothing but problems with them. Buy the ATP filter/gasket kit. It comes with a cork gasket for the transmission, and after changing fluid four times on an AX4N, I never had an issue, other than the gasket moving around (hence, the rubber cement).

JR

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You should get an OEM trans gasket. They are reusable. I've never had anything on the tranny pan but the original one that came with the transmission(s).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i just checked my ATF levels today and it seems the mechanics that I had do the engine replacement overfilled it, its passed the the crosshatched bars by about....3/4 of an inch, which is alot. Okay, I will also get the OEM gasket for the transmission as everyone here has pretty much said so.

As for the oil leak, where would the cam seals be located at? Felpro seems to be the winner in the gasket wars here, at autozone it seems to cost $35 +tax, so hopefuklly this weekend i'll try to do the job. I'll just keep a watch on my oil level.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Well i just checked my ATF levels today and it seems the mechanics that I had do the engine replacement overfilled it, its passed the the crosshatched bars by about....3/4 of an inch, which is alot. Okay, I will also get the OEM gasket for the transmission as everyone here has pretty much said so.

As for the oil leak, where would the cam seals be located at? Felpro seems to be the winner in the gasket wars here, at autozone it seems to cost $35 +tax, so hopefuklly this weekend i'll try to do the job. I'll just keep a watch on my oil level.
[/b]
I got me a FelPro For my oil pan. Its great. No leaks! (from the pan.) I'm due for new valve cover etc gaskets..

I havent used RTV on my trans gasket.. but its leaking even though I situated it right and tightened it and everything.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would pick up a Motorcraft o.e.m rubber gasket for the trans pan-Felpro does make very good gaskets, I would suggest anyone doing head work use them for head gaskets, and valve cover gaskets. My mechanic only uses Felpro on their work-becouse they do it right the first time.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i haven't had a problem with my tranny gasket i've used the same one that comes with the filter for 3 filters now and its still not leaking i just keep the other ones just in case.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

[/b]
You checked it with the engine running and at temperature?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I checked it on WARM/HOT temperature when it was running. My father checked it out as well for confirmation and yes, it was overfilled.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Just making sure. Sounds stupid but I know people that thought the tranny was overfilled when in reality the car was just off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Happens all the time to some of my buddies. But ya, im just waiting for my money to arrive so i can start on this fix. Thank you guys!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts