Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings...great site! First, the basics...

2000 Taurus...Duratec...96,000 miles

So...CEL came on. P0174 code. Reset it...a couple days later, P0174 AND P0171. Thanks to info on this site from you kind folks, I changed the PCV and hose/elbow. Reset and got the same codes the next day.

I used carb cleaner, looking for vacuum leaks. No luck.

Next, I pulled off the IM...changed upper gasket...cleaned MAF...cleaned a very dirty TB...changed EGR gasket...changed sparkplugs (Autolite platinum)...found and replaced a cracked vacuum hose in the back.

Put it all back together, fired it up and pulled a P0305 code. So, I thought maybe a bad coil on bank 5. Wife needed car...so, I reset code.

When she returned, CEL is back on. This time pulling a P0174 and P0401 (egr).

Seems like each time I do anything...a different problem/code occurs. It feels like I'm shooting at a constantly moving target. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
587 Posts
here is what it sounds like to me. your egr is stuck closed giving a too lean on bank 2 and egr insufficient flow. here is a way to test the egr get a mr vacuum . vacuum pump there like 30-40 bucks mite even be able to rent one. attach it to the egr vacuum line instead of the car vacuum line plug the cars vacuum line. apply vacuum and see if the car stalls out if it does not stall or stumble the egr is the fault. more then likely plugged shut.this is if you got 30 inches of mercury or full vacuum. at that point it does not stall replace the egr or try to clean it with carb cleaner if no luck doing that replace it. it also maybe the egr vacuum solenoid but sounds more like egr. so if fixing the egr fails or vacuum applied works try the vacuum solenoid. hope this helps good luck on it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: After close examination of the EGR Vacuum Solenoid (not the actual EGR valve--the piece on the other side of the engine), I found one of the plastic nipples that one of the vacuum lines connects to had a crack in it. A little superglue and a small piece of heat shrink tubing and viola! 24 hours and 50 miles later...no more code. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If your 401 code comes back, you will probably have to replace your DPFE valve to permanently fix it (cheap at Rock Auto). Just make sure you use a ford / motorcraft brand or else you may have to replace it again like I did.

·
Registered
587 Posts
UPDATE: After close examination of the EGR Vacuum Solenoid (not the actual EGR valve--the piece on the other side of the engine), I found one of the plastic nipples that one of the vacuum lines connects to had a crack in it. A little superglue and a small piece of heat shrink tubing and viola! 24 hours and 50 miles later...no more code. Keeping my fingers crossed.

good to hear hope you found the problem. i am keeping my fingers crossed too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Make sure the passages going through the EGR and all that are clean. My son had to take a wire and small steel brush to get all the carbon out of those passages. It made a huge difference....for about two years. Time to do it again, but at least I'm not replacing all those components that didn't do any good the first time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts