Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the Blue Bull needs catalytic converters and I've been calling around town for estimates. I was on the fence between 2 shops that I have previously done business with, and decided on Centurion in Baton Rouge on Choctaw drive. They are the ones who found that when my car was stalling, I needed to replace the fuel pump. They told me what the problem was and I replaced it myself. So, I figured I would go with them because they seemed to be "good people".

Yesterday, when I called about an estimate, they gave me the same ball park figure that everyone else did, and allowed me to use a 10% off coupon they had in a student savings book, which would have made their price fairly competitive.

So, I bring the bull on down there and make sure they have the right cats in stock. They ask if I have the duel overhead cam or the single. I said I have the OHV and that they need to know that I have the Vulcan. I emphasized that I have the U in my VIN number and this would be essential for ordering parts. They said that they have the right part. I told them that their estimate said that I have a Flex Fuel, and I told them that I do NOT have a Flex Fuel. I told them that I have the "U" model. I told them like 5 times that I have a Vulcan.

They said that they have the right part, and that U is just a letter in my VIN number. I said, okay, we'll see.

So, I left the bull there yesterday at 9am, and got a call about 4pm. They said that the wrong part was delivered to them.

BIG SURPRISE.

Notice how they did not say that they ordered the wrong part, but that the wrong part was delivered to them.

Them: It will be Thursday before we get the right part in.

Me: So, do you have my car apart?

Them: Yes, your car is already apart.

Me: Can you put the old one back on?

Them: The old bolts were rusty, we had to cut them. We can't put the old ones back on.

Me: Can I run it without the cats without hurting the car.

Them: Well, the car would be very loud if you ran it without the cats, but we can't let the car leave the shop without the cats. You're going to have to be patient.

That's where they're wrong. When I go pick up the car, they are going to have to be patient as I slowly right out the check. And I am going to put in the memo of the check that U is just a letter in my VIN number.

effin morons. You might know cars, but you don't know sh*t about a Taurus.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
you don't have a ohc, you have a ohv

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

They gave me two choices: single overhead cam or dual overhead cam. Which would you choose? [/b][/quote]

A different mechanic...

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

They gave me two choices: single overhead cam or dual overhead cam. Which would you choose?
[/b][/quote]

You have Single Underhead Cam, that's what the U is for!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am pretty sure they cant tell you that you cant take your car elsewhere so long as you pay them for what they have already done. I am not sure what estimates you were given but magnaflow cats for the vulcan are like 350 on shosource

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
You could have had a complete new exhaust built with a High Flow cat for under 350 bucks.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Unbelievable FAIL. Srsly, find another shop.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

They gave me two choices: single overhead cam or dual overhead cam. Which would you choose?
[/b][/quote]

reminds me of when i use to own my 76 mercedes and places would try to tell me I don't have a five cylinder engine.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
The gut at Autozone wouldn't look for swaybar bushings under SHO because the SE suspension was the same.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would find another mechanic as well. There is NO single overhead cam option on the Taurus. The vulcan whether flex fuel or not is conventional pushrod engine.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
yeah i went to autozone one day to see about getting glow plugs for the mercedes

i need five glowplugs for a 76 mercedes

autoguy: you mean spark plugs

me: no glow plugs, and I need 5 of em, its a five cylinder engine

autoguy: they dont make 5 cylinder engines, and all cars need spark plugs

at that point I preceded to leave and order glow plugs from the oreilleys across the street.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Installing a Y pipe is not that hard. The only difficult thing about it is its heavy so you would need an assistant to help you and you could take him out for a beer later.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

reminds me of when i use to own my 76 mercedes and places would try to tell me I don't have a five cylinder engine.
[/b][/quote]
lol, seriously. There are times I've argued over whether something is the right part whem I've had the old part with me and they clearly don't match. Lots of parts stores have the Vulcan listed as OHC too.

"I have the OHV V6, VIN code U."
"Is it OHC or DOHC?"
"Neither. It's THAT one where it says VIN U next to it" (points at screen)
"That's an OHC."
:sigh: "OK, fine...I have an OHC with pushrods. :rolleyes: I need a (fill in part here)"

And this is why I love RockAuto. :lol2:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car should be read tomorrow. We'll see if the shop accommodates me in any way for my inconvenience. If the car is not ready or if they give me any attitude, I am logging on to every website that will allow me to rate or review this shop and share my experience with others so that when anyone googles the shop they will find my review..

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, if the part does not come in today and the car is not ready, here are a couple of things I need to know:

1. Can I drive the car without hurting the car with the cats off?
2. At $65 per hour labor, what is the fair price for them removing my old cats?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Your car will run with out cats, it may throw codes. Nothing bad though. The car will be loud though.

They should only charge $65 to remove.

If you need a new y-pipe: SHOSource

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
You know... your paint code is just letters too. All cars use the same paint.

Seroiusly though, good luck.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts