Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlights are startin to be in rough shape. Just curious if TYC headlights are same/made by depo or are they different? I do know aftermarkets don't hold well as OEMs do. Just getting the chrome appearance not the centis sorry :p

I recall either having TYC altezza tails or clear corners on my old Ranger and never had issues.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
As Paul said; TYC is way better than depo but not quite as good as Ford Lamps. (Had experience with the three of them.) Will never buy depo. :angry:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Better yet cheapo then Depo.

For the car's age might as well go hybrid. :D

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If you get the rebright kit right up from and apply their kit it will hold up better than the bare bones TYC, maybe even better than Ford. By the same token, it works wonders on stock lights. They seriously look new when you are finished, and they will hold up very well over time.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Apparently not if they can't pass a conformance test.

Personally, if it were my car, I would buy a Rebright kit and polish them and seal the polycarbonate with the UV clearcoat.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
They may be well known, but where are their DOT certifications? If a conformance test reveals they scatter the light almost randomly, then they are not well made.

It will be less expensive to just repolish the old ones and apply a proper UV blocking clearcoat. That way you can get the already excellent factory lenses back in shape.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I bought Eagle Eye headlamps (Taiwan) amazingly from my local Ford Stealership (less than half the price of OEM). Good fit and quality. No problems with them.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I had TYCs and they are good lights. But will not last as long as the OEM ones.

Never had any luck polishing headlamps. Once you do that you need to keep doing it unless there is some sort of UV protectant on them.

Had some Eagle Eyes ones too back in the day. They were junk. May be better now.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Thats why you have to use the Rebright kit. Its the only one that polished the lenses and replaces the protective clearcoat. Other kits simply remove the coating and leave the polycarbonate exposed to the UV rays of the sun. The clearcoat provided with the Rebright kit actually cures with UV. It has the same thermal expansion as the polycarbonate, so it won't flake or peel off if applied correctly.

I used the Rebright kit on my car, and it hasn't faded at all since the leans was treated. It is perfectly clear.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am somewhat patriotic and prefer to buy N American made parts because they are better quality. However, some parts from the "Stealerships" are so overpriced (most of them) that the public will buy slightly inferior parts because of price. The days are gone when you buy a new vehicle and it's all American. These Headlights are a good example of overpricing from OEM (Ford). Perhaps the aftermarket (competition) parts are half the price, yet 80% as good for longevity. Look at your new car! Half of it was built outside of USA with parts from everywhere so that you can buy it for many thousands less than if it was built in Detroit etc by persons so grossly overpaid that the US auto industry went bankrupt!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts