Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick observation/question...

I recently purchased a 1996 Sable GS wagon. The floor storage space in the rear has a spare tire in it. Fiddling around the other day to work on the stereo antenna, I found another tire and jack. Why were these cars designed with two spares? I'm not complaining, just never heard of this before. Are they the same thing?

I assume that if I had the third row seat or picnic table option, the floor spare tire would be removed and that's why there's a side one as well?

How hard is it to install the third-row seat and seat belts?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
You can probably put a full-size spare in the floor storage space, but not so much in the side well.

It isn't too hard to put in the third row seat, you just need a donor car with the option that is the same interior color. You will have to remove all of the rear interior trim and unbolt the loading deck from the body of the car. Kind of involved but definitely possible if you have time and patience.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
+1^ Full size spare tire was an option, it only fits in the floor well. The one near the stereo gear is a space saver doughnut spare.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts