Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if they still make the two-part Radiator flush? I seem to remember that Prestone made it at one time. You had one powder that was oxalic acid which did the cleaning. The second powder was a neutralizer for the oxalic acid. It was very effective, but it probably eats aluminum for lunch!

I've got a Vulcan that the PO neglected and need to clean out the cooling system.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
In warm weather, i drain and rinse the system and refill with water and super flush and leave it in while driving for several days to a week before draining, rinsing and refilling with coolant mixture. Too bad this is the wrong time of year for that course of action.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
I havent seen the 2 part stuff around for years. "Back in the day" I used to use it all the time. My guesses are 1) Some environmental law killed it, or 2) the newer one step stuff works just as good, so no need for the older 2 step stuff. I still have 1 can, probably 15 years old, of the 2 part stuff sitting on my shelf waiting for a car (which I know will come along for me one day) with a really fubared cooling system.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks, for the replies. I was able to put in Prestone Super Cleaner and run it two days before freezing temps forced me to put the antifreeze back in. This summer, I plan to take the thermostat out and back flush from the upper radiator hose. I may even get energetic and back flush the heater core.

I wanted to get some Rust Inhibitor and Waper Pump Lubricant, but couldn't find any. I guess that antifreeze is supposed to perform those tasks these days.

·
Registered
955 Posts
the only other stuff I use is a bottle of that 'Redline Water Wetter'. It reduces the surface tension of the coolant/water mixture to allow better cooling of the engine.

Google Redline Water Wetter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.