Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be buying some tweeters soon, and I just wanted to know what are the best kind for around 100$ a pair?

Also, I know you need crossovers, but how exactly do the crossovers work? How do I hook them up to the stereo?

Thanks for any help..

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
What type of midbass/midrange speakers do you have? What is your price range for crossovers?

A well designed crossover can do wonders. There are two types of crossovers, passive and active. You will be using a passive crossover, which comes after the amplification stage. You will have to connect your speaker wire coming from you amp to the crossover, then run two sets out, one to the tweeter, and one to the midbass/midrange. You will have to do this on both sides.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kenwood KFC-c6889ie 6x8 Component Speakers in the rear, and
JBL GTO speakers in the front...
I thought crossovers came with the tweeters, but if they don't, like 30$..
Which amp? The one in my HU or the one that goes with my subwoofers?

I'm a visual learner, so if you could make a diagram of it, it would help IMMENSELY...

Thanks for the response though, it did help.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Just a few questions for clarification:

So, currently you have a set of component speakers in the rear (mid and tweeter) and a set of JBL coaxials in the front, and you want to add a tweet to the front setup? I also take it that you're powering your fronts and rears with your head unit? I'm guessing that since you have the GTo line of JBL speakers, each coax only has one set of speaker inputs?

I will make up a general diagram if that will help you picture what I'm talking about as well.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
btw, If you order a set of tweeters they will most likely come with inline crossovers. I was originally thinking that you wanted a new crossover for your front mids and your tweet. Sorry about the confusion.

Also, check out this page They should have something on there that will fit your budget.

·
Registered
746 Posts
i have never seen a set of tweeters that come with their own crossovers. if you are designing your own front component set then you are going to want a good set of xo's made, they will do wonders for the speakers. without good ones any speaker will sound bad.

also check out madisound at www.madisound.com. they have tons of great stuff at really cheap prices. i recomend from personal experiences: peerless, tangband, seas, morel, or scanspeak. each runs about $30 or less for a tweeter, and can all be found at madisound.

madisound also sells capacitors and resistors to make your crossovers, as well as a proffesionally done RTA of the speakers they sell so you can design your crossovers using the charts.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
madisound is a good company, another good one similar to them is partsexpress

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok..I'll probably still order off Crutchfield due to their quick shipping to my area and instructions...
I live like two hours from them, so it's usually fast..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts