Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you turn off the overdrive on the gen 4s? There's no button like on the gen 3.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Just move the Shift lever into D instead of Overdrive. If you have a floor shifter it is the second D that you come to, and this will prevent the car from going into 4th. Just be careful though, since it does not lock into this position and can be bumped into an undisireable gear.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Well, even if you bumped it into 1st it MIGHT go into 2nd, but no way it will go into 1st. Its anelectronically controlled tranny, so if the computer doesnt want it to downshift it wont, no matter what spot you put the shifter into.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
wrong....whatever position you have it in on the shifer....that is the highest gear it can physically shift into. if its in od...then i can shift into 1234, if its in 2nd, then it has the choices of 12 if its in 1st it has one choice.....1. This is the purpose of the mechanical shifter. It physically limits the highest gear it can choose from, but within that range it can do anything.

As for electronic control...kinda like tiptronic....level 10 performance has a module that allows you car to have the tipronic slection for 500 bones.

another way to force the tranny to be in first is to unplug the tranny connector or put in a realy do remotly disconnect it. No matter what FORWARD gear you put it i, it will not shift out of first. (this last piece of info applies to ax4s tranny, have not tesed on ax4n but asuume it is the same).

Brad

EDIT: spelling

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by the_spy_guy@Feb 1 2004, 02:36 PM
wrong....whatever position you have it in on the shifer....that is the highest gear it can physically shift into. if its in od...then i can shift into 1234, if its in 2nd, then it has the choices of 12 if its in 1st it has one choice.....1. This is the purpose of the mechanical shifter. It physically limits the highest gear it can choose from, but within that range it can do anything.
not true brad. in my gen 4 if i go from overdrive down to 1st, it will downshift into second, and then once you slow down to about 15 mph it bumps into 1st. if you are at a stop and go into first then it does limit it to just first gear, but if you try to down shift into first it wont do it.

i hate this feature because when i am up at school driving through the mountains i always try to use compression braking so that i dont heat the brakes up, but it wont slow it down enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
spy-guy, you are right with everything you said, however I know from experience if you down shift you car from regular "D" drive into "1" 1st gear it will not go into first if you are above a certain speed and rpm range. I was exiting the expressway moving about 50 mph and due to weather conditions had my shifter in the "D" position not "OD" and when I exit the expressway I usually down shift out of "OD"overdrive to "D", last winter I shifted into "1" 1st gear and just as I did it I thought to my self "oh s***" I am going to f---up my trans, then just before I was going to quick shift back into "D" I realized the rpm's did not start to scream like I anticipated, it instead only went up to about 4000 and slowed the car nicely and then again when the transmission knew it was safe to down s*** again, it did so very smoothly to my surprise.

Now if you are at a stand still the transmission will not shift higher then the selected gear., but it will down shift safely

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
i did not fully explain as usual...yes, id agree with you guys.

Brad

EDIT: hoss...is there anything we can agree on other than "we agree to disagree" ?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Are the PCM signals any different between the PRN(D)D1 cars and the PRND21 cars for the Gen 4? I'd like to have the 1 & 2 selector with the OD button, but don't want to have to change the PCM.

-Dan

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by the_spy_guy@Feb 1 2004, 03:14 PM
i did not fully explain as usual...yes, id agree with you guys.

Brad

EDIT: hoss...is there anything we can agree on other than "we agree to disagree" ?
LMAO!!!

brad... i have nothing against you, out of all the people on here you were amongst the fitst to help me

i dont always disagree with you, as a matter of fact you still have the one mod i want... the turn signal, in the side mirrors...
i just kind if added the part you missed in this post

and yeah brad... there are probably a lot of things we could agree on...

i still wanna contact you about changing from digital to rotary controls

1 - 10 of 10 Posts