Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a SUV lights HD headlight harness for my car, but then I found a few topics afterward that said the headlight harness doesn't work with DRL's. The plan was to un-attach it for inspection so I would have my DRL's, and re-attach it afterward and just not have DRL's. The problem now is that they are about to pass a law here that you HAVE to have DRL's. First time you are caught without them, $167 or so and it goes up.

So since I REALLY want to be able to have my headlight harness, and I need to have some sort of daytime running lights, I was thinking of making my front turn signals into daytime running lights...basically how they would be when I turn my parking lights on, but have it so only the front turn signals come on when the car is running and the emergency brake is off.

I am going to read through my wiring manual for the car, and study the wiring harness off of my parts car and try and figure something out...but does anyone know if this would be possible, or has anyone done it?

I could simply always turning on my parking lights, but I would rather just have my front turn signals come on automatically.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Yep :p I saw this thread and though immediately... oooh! a change to ***** out my DRL mod...

http://www.daytime-running-lights.com/Turn_Signal_DRLs.html

I got the $100 model simply because it is the only one that allows you to turn on the DRLs while the running/headlights are on.

The $79 model is just the Turn Signal DRLs. They come on with the ignition, and turn off when you use the running/headlights.

The $83 model adds an indicator light so you know when they're on, and the $85 model adds a switch to turn them off.

It is definitely a quality product. It includes all the wiring, and even electrical tape.

The only issue is with the $100 model, if you turn the DRLs on while your running/headlights are on, it will turn off the sidemarkers. All the other models ($79-$85) work absolutely perfect with no issues.

Since I got mine they actually lowered the prices and now include more wire connectors in the package.

There might be a way to wire it up and make your own DRLs but it would involve some knowledge in wiring because if you just hook up the turn signals to a relay powered by the ignition, the rear turn signals would turn on as well. Plus, the models on the website I linked to are all DOT and SAE compliant, so you shouldn't have any issues with the police.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, I guess I know it is possible.

I am hoping to wire it up myself and do it more or less for free...but if it comes to it I might buy that kit.

Only thing I notice with those is it seems the turn signals are fully lit up, not "half lit" like it would be with just your parking lights on normal. That's how I hope to wire it up, so I guess I will see what happens.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
if you just want the running (dim) lights on then yeah you could just hook the bulbs up to a relay that's powered by the ignition. In fact, you could do all the wiring behind the dashboard, just by hooking the headlight switch up to the relay.

but honestly, I don't know if the running lights would count as DRLs. You'd have to check with the DMV. The bright filament is a lot more noticeable than just the dim one.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
QUOTE (Sean T. @ Mar 22 2009, 10:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711331
Yep :p I saw this thread and though immediately... oooh! a change to ***** out my DRL mod...

http://www.daytime-running-lights.com/Turn_Signal_DRLs.html

I got the $100 model simply because it is the only one that allows you to turn on the DRLs while the running/headlights are on.

The $79 model is just the Turn Signal DRLs. They come on with the ignition, and turn off when you use the running/headlights.

The $83 model adds an indicator light so you know when they're on, and the $85 model adds a switch to turn them off.

It is definitely a quality product. It includes all the wiring, and even electrical tape.

The only issue is with the $100 model, if you turn the DRLs on while your running/headlights are on, it will turn off the sidemarkers. All the other models ($79-$85) work absolutely perfect with no issues.

Since I got mine they actually lowered the prices and now include more wire connectors in the package.

There might be a way to wire it up and make your own DRLs but it would involve some knowledge in wiring because if you just hook up the turn signals to a relay powered by the ignition, the rear turn signals would turn on as well. Plus, the models on the website I linked to are all DOT and SAE compliant, so you shouldn't have any issues with the police.[/b]
Why would you want the DRLs on with the headlights/running lights?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
For awesomeness :p

When I installed them I had put some Hyper White bulbs in so it kinda looked like I had 4 headlights when I turned on the DRLs, and "spider-car" comments resulted from my video.

·
Registered
2010 Taurus Show Limited FWD
2 Posts
I picked up a SUV lights HD headlight harness for my car, but then I found a few topics afterward that said the headlight harness doesn't work with DRL's. The plan was to un-attach it for inspection so I would have my DRL's, and re-attach it afterward and just not have DRL's. The problem now is that they are about to pass a law here that you HAVE to have DRL's. First time you are caught without them, $167 or so and it goes up.

So since I REALLY want to be able to have my headlight harness, and I need to have some sort of daytime running lights, I was thinking of making my front turn signals into daytime running lights...basically how they would be when I turn my parking lights on, but have it so only the front turn signals come on when the car is running and the emergency brake is off.

I am going to read through my wiring manual for the car, and study the wiring harness off of my parts car and try and figure something out...but does anyone know if this would be possible, or has anyone done it?

I could simply always turning on my parking lights, but I would rather just have my front turn signals come on automatically.
Its absolutely possible (and actually fairly easy to do) Just go get yourself a pair of switchback turn signal bulbs (you get what you pay for) and hit youtube if you don't know how to put them in.....then BOOM!!!......instantly your inside parking lights/turn signals are now white DRL's which turn to amber when turn signal is applied!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts