Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The turn signals on my 2008 Taurus act very strange. The front turn signal bulbs function completely normally (for the most part, aside from hyperflashing when the rear bulbs hyperflash) while the rear signals exhibit the following behaviors:
  • When hazard lights are turned on, both lights flash at the regular speed, as expected.
  • When one turn signal is turned on without the brake applied, both rear bulbs hyperflash, as if a bulb was burned out. Both light bulbs flash in this state.
  • When the brake is applied while the turn signals are hyperflashing, the light returns to its regular speed while the brake is applied. Only the correct turn signal flashes.
  • When the brake is released, both bulbs start hyperflashing again.
  • Having the headlights on does not affect the behavior.
The brake lights function as normal when no turn signal is active.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The turn signals on my 2008 Taurus act very strange. The front turn signal bulbs function completely normally (for the most part, aside from hyperflashing when the rear bulbs hyperflash) while the rear signals exhibit the following behaviors:
  • When hazard lights are turned on, both lights flash at the regular speed, as expected.
  • When one turn signal is turned on without the brake applied, both rear bulbs hyperflash, as if a bulb was burned out. Both light bulbs flash in this state.
  • When the brake is applied while the turn signals are hyperflashing, the light returns to its regular speed while the brake is applied. Only the correct turn signal flashes.

I was having weird turn signal issues on my pickup truck (Mazda) recently, ie. hyperflashing, brake light flashing instead of signal, etc. I messed with it for quite a while and finally determined that the ground wire was not providing sufficient ground -- probably some corrosion or fatigue somewhere. I ended up connecting the two light grounds to a piece of new wire which I attached to the frame behind the housing by punching a hole in the metal and screwing the wire down. I have no idea if that will help you, but get some pieces of good wire and try fiddling with the grounding to see if anything changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was having weird turn signal issues on my pickup truck (Mazda) recently, ie. hyperflashing, brake light flashing instead of signal, etc. I messed with it for quite a while and finally determined that the ground wire was not providing sufficient ground -- probably some corrosion or fatigue somewhere. I ended up connecting the two light grounds to a piece of new wire which I attached to the frame behind the housing by punching a hole in the metal and screwing the wire down. I have no idea if that will help you, but get some pieces of good wire and try fiddling with the grounding to see if anything changes.
I've tried jiggling the wires around, but it didn't do anything. Looking at a repair manual, the lights are supposed to be controlled individually by the SJB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One or more brake light bulb filaments in the dual filament turn signal/brake light bulbs are burned out. The DOT required signal for a rear burned-out turn/brake filament is to hyper flash. I front burned-out filament will cause a constant on - no flash condition.

Diagnosis:
1. Turn all lights off.
2. Depress the brake pedal. Block it depressed with an object like a short broom handle, 2 x 4, etc. between the pedal and seat or have a helper depress the pedal. If blocking the pedal, pad the seat end of the object to prevent damage to the seat.
3. Stand behind the car and observe which bulbs are not functioning.
4. Replace as necessary. I like Philips LED OEM replacements as they will illuminate as stock, are DOT approved, will not hyper flash or trip warning lights, and they will outlast the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it out. The car had an (aftermarket?) trailer hitch installed, and the connecting harness got ripped out, leaving bare wires under the car. Two were shorting together, and presumably powering both bulbs. I pulled the wires into the trunk, cut them short, and taped them off, and the turn signals work fine now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts