Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, need some help from the experts, I have failing turn signals. the are intermittent, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. when they fail, all of them fail, hit the left, nothing happens, hit hte right nothing happens, hit the 4 ways, nothing happens. then they randomly start working again later. today, they were on and off several times while just driving across town. before today, it only happend once. so now I guess I have a more serious problem that needs to be fixed before a friendly policeman decides he doesn't like it. any suggestions? I was thinking maybe the flasher, but why would both go out at the same time? I don't konw about the mechanism of the multifunction switch, again I was wondering why both sides would go out at teh same time, but they are all part of that switch, so I guess that's the most likely culprit huh?

X

·
0 Posts
When my milf switch went bad, i could turn on the hazards, those would take a little delay to work, then that would cause the turn signals not to work after that.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I am going to go ahead and guess that you've got a loose ground somewhere. That's what I am guessing anyway. I had a similar problem but with my wipers. Sometimes they'd work, usually they wouldn't. I replaced my multifunction switch as I wanted to avoid paying dealership diag fees (cause they're the only ones who can read GEM error codes). Guess what, it did nothing! I eventually had to take it in and they traced the wire and found a rotten ground. 32 cents parts, $257.50 labour.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by sundarpn@Feb 6 2004, 09:13 AM
what all constitutes thes multi functional switch?
pics pls?

Another thread said, it could need just cleaning
yeah, before I replace it, I plan to try to take it apart and see if there is anything I can do to clean it up. the mutlifunction switch is a switch that controls the turn signals, 4 way flashers, windshield wipers, windshield wahers, and high beam headlights. its that control stick on the left side of the steering column with all those controls on it, and the switch itself is inside the steering column (the control stick there and the 4 way flashers switch are all connected to it, its one part) I don't have any pics of it, but I'm sure someone does, and I'm sure its in the service cds. I had one go bad on my 96 also, with that one the washers were intermittent, same problem, different system.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Before checking anything replace the flashers. THERE are 2 of them make sure to replace both of them. ONE will affect the other so replace both.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Check the flasher on the fuse panel. They are cheap and easy to replace. Next I would check the 4-way flasher switch and the multi-malfunction switch for crud.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good suggestions, I never really knew were the flashers were, someone said once that they were inline flashers that are specific to this car or something like that. so they're in the cabin fuse panel? I'll see if I can pick up some quick replacements and give that a try. before I spend the money on a multifunction switch though, I'll swap switches with my 96, if the problem moves with it, then I'll still try to take it apart and fix it myself before buying a new one!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I just cleaned up and tested my old MFS from my '97. It really is easy to clean a bit of PITA to remove though.

Once out, pry off the cap on the end of the stalk. There is a spring and a contact disk inside. Take these out and clean them with some contact cleaner. Clean the inside of the stalk too. Use a Q tip to get all the old grease out. On the contact part that is removable there are 4 small contact points. I used some fine sandpaper to lightly clean up the point of contact on these.

Then sprayed the E flasher button and everything else with WD 40. Worked all the parts and sprayed some more. The applied a light coat of petroleum jelly to the wiper delay contacts and put it all back together. Everything works as good as new.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I already did pry the cap at the end of the turn indicator stick & cleaned it with a cotton bud & wd 40, there was a ton of grease. then my washer started working. this was a yr back.

Now the other day, I turned on my E flashers. only one side was flashing, then shut if of. One onse side turn indiacators were working.

after fiddling around with the E flasher switch that is on the top of the streeing col cover, the turn indicators work. I have never used the E flashers ever since.
Question: how do I have to clean the E flasher switch..? how to first expose it. will removing the top cover behind the sterring be enough.? I forgot, I thinking remove the botton cover is easy, but not the top?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You drench the entire switch in copious amounts of WD 40.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I remember awhile ago that there was a post that had a detailed procedure (with pictures) on cleaning the multifunction switch. I can't find it anywhere can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Spiff

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by gtx2000@Feb 6 2004, 09:31 AM
Before checking anything replace the flashers. THERE are 2 of them make sure to replace both of them. ONE will affect the other so replace both.
Does taurus have two flasher? Can you please tell me where are they?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Often i just spray WD40 into the hazard switch at the top and keep pressing it until the fluid works in and they start working again. My friends 98 just had this problem, and i'd done that trick a while ago to get the signals/4-ways working again, but this time, no dice. He bought a new switch, i swapped it in for him in about 10 mins.. it's pretty easy - here's how to do it:

1 - remove the ignition lock cylinder - insert the key in the ignition and turn it to "RUN," (don't start it) then insert a small pick or screwdriver into the blank hole in the bottom of the column shroud and press the retaining pin up to release the ignition cylinder and slide it out of the column.

2 - remove the 3 screws from the lower shroud and the tilt lever

3 - remove the upper and lower shroud (you may have to tilt the wheel up and down a bit to do this, so you may have to screw the tilt leve back in a lil bit)

4 - remove the 2 screws holding the MFS to the column - they are either a T15 or T20 Torx

5 - remove both electrical connectors - it's easiest to pop them off if you carefully pry the retaining tabs back with 2 small screwdrivers at the same time - be careful not to snap the tabs off

6 - reverse everything to install the new switch - make sure you check operation of everything before you put the column shrouds back on, just in case there's a problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts