Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering about making my turn signals into another set of headlights. I'd like to get clear lens covers for them to do this. I'd then add the turn signals (inside the grille) from a 1998 Mercury Sable.

Why? My regular headlights are useless, and on my Gen III Taurus, I don't see much of a good place for foglamps. Also, my regular headlamps are useless. Driving around town, I can't tell my headlights are on, and on the rural roads and highways, they aren't bright enough to spot deer. I've cleaned the housings, as well as replaced the stock bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars. They helped out some but not significantly.

Also interested in making the rear reflectors on my car into brake lamps.

Anybody have any suggestions on any of these ideas?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Even if you were to do a lot of customizing to fit headlamp bulbs in your parking lights, The housing was not ment to take the HEAT of Halogen bulbs...and therefore Melt.

Don't know what else to tell you to do cause driving light are useless.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by speakerboy5@Feb 23 2004, 01:40 PM
I have been wondering about making my turn signals into another set of headlights. I'd like to get clear lens covers for them to do this. I'd then add the turn signals (inside the grille) from a 1998 Mercury Sable.

Also interested in making the rear reflectors on my car into brake lamps.

Anybody have any suggestions on any of these ideas?
You might not be able to do the first part. Probably better off getting new headlight assemblies.

The brake light in the reflector mod has been done. Ask Firespirt on that.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Get a 100 w headlight wire harness. Makes a night and day difference.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Feb 23 2004, 08:30 PM
The brake light in the reflector mod has been done. Ask Firespirt on that.
awwww you remembered my mod Qwertz!!

But anywho, that reflector bar mod was easy.. if you wanna PM me sometime I can give you instructions on it and you can perfect it

I'll give you some pics...

With the brake NOT pressed, at night

With the brakes pressed, at night

brake not pressed, day

brake pressed, day

hope you liked!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
A guy on the V8SHO list changed his front turn signals into some dual bulb driving/fog lights. I think he rigged the fogs as turn signals.

And you can easily make your rear turn signals into brake lights while still maintaining their usefulness as turn signals.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like how the HID lights work, but I read that you need to upgrade wires/harnesses or else they will melt under the heat of the lamps. Is this true, or did I just read some bad information.

Anyone have success with any particular brand?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts