Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Sable and the turn signal does not turn off after completing a turn. The turn signal lever itself works fine. I did a search on this and some threads recommended replacing just the turn signal level while some said there was a lobe that cancelled the switch in the steering column. Do I have to take off the steering wheel to fix this problem?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
There is a "cam" that rotates with the steering wheel that cancels the turn signal. It isnt common, but the cam can break. Replacing it requires steering wheel removal. I would suspect the MFS first...... pull it and have a look at the cancel mechansim. I seem too remember there are 2 small springs in there that can become dislodged and cause your problem.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Almost definitely it's the multifunction switch (MFS, a.k.a. turn signal lever) as jeff K says. It's an easy fix, and even easier if you have a floor shifter because the column shifter doesn't get in the way of the steering column cover.

Last time I needed one, I think I paid about $50 ordering through Amazon for a brand new OE part.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was the muti-function switch (MFS). I looked at the switch at it appears that the spring for the return tab broke or got loose. I would hate to see the otherwise good switch go to waste. Is anyone handy at repairing the mechanism?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
That's pretty much what happens. Also I believe this happens more frequently when you turn the wheel back toward center while holding the turn signal stalk to keep the turn signal on, like when you're making an odd turn that would normally cause the stalk to return to center before you want the blinker to stop flashing.

I've never seen anyone actually fix a broken one. And on my particular revision there was absolutely no way to get it open without totally destroying it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts