Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, not a good start for the new yr.

I put my hazard light briefly in the morning... then i switch it off...

then the turn indicators dont work... I tap the hazard light push switch lightly... then left indicator alone will work... then after fiddling around with the hazard light s/w i got the indicators to work.

any idea what could be wrong? this 96 GL gen 3

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
A friend of mine had the same problem. We took it apart and it was full of tar and nicotine
. He was a heavy smoker.

Cleaned it out and everything was OK

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is your multifunction switch gone bad. Don't bother replacing the relay. I did and it didn't work.

The bad news is it lists for $85.00. The good news is you can but it from Ford Parts Network for $69.00 --- Although with shipping it probably is $85.00 --- So you might as well get it from the stealership.

More bad news is that you need to replace it. I haven't heard of a fix working (like WD40 or anything.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh god!

I thgt the MF switch is only for the wiper & washer.. and sits in that stick...

anyways.. the problem seems to be based on the seating of the hazard light push down switch...

·
Registered
313 Posts
It's all interconnected. I could turn on my hazards and then signal left or right and get all kinds of wonky things going on with my lights. I also had the very occasional odd intermittent wiper issue going on. After replacing the switch everything was fine, from the wipers to the turn signals.

If it's minor & you can live with it, then fine. Here in VA your car wouldn't pass inspection, so you would have to change it.

I seem to remember some posts about cleaning the MFS in the archives. I think they were related mostly to the wipers, but it's all the same thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.